View our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Helen
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

20-07-2007, 08:14 AM
Can I just warn about allowing dogs to chase things. I know of at least 5 dogs who have died on roads due to chasing deer or rabbits. I also know of someone whose whippet was killed when a deer turned on her

It is also illegal to ALLOW a dog to chase deer. As long as intention is proven, you are in trouble. I'm not sure of the law of allowing your dogs to chase rabbits on other people's land. I know when we go out rabbiting, we always ask the landowners permission. Surely, this is a form of poaching, not to?

Helen
tink
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

20-07-2007, 08:59 AM
Mine have high prey drives and i am very particular as to where i let them off,i have to be so careful,Alfie particually likes bikes lol !
He can smell rabbitts a mile off and will let out his special 'rabbit howl'.Its more about finding them than chasing with my Two (its them noses of theirs) but they will give chase,
Its horses ,cows,rabbits and bikes with Alfie !!
He stays right away from Bees,hes never been stung to my knowledge but always stays a good few inches from them (its as if he knows) He caught a fly in my kitchen the other day ,the dopey thing will spend hours trying to catch them,
MickB
Dogsey Senior
Male 

31-07-2007, 08:25 AM
Hardly surprising that NI's and Utonagons have such a high prey drive - after all they are not many generations away from the Siberian/Malamute part of their make-up. I'm not too sure you will have too much success in trying to "train" it out of them as it is so much part of their genetic hardwiring.
Evie
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

31-07-2007, 11:33 AM
Originally Posted by Helen View Post
It is also illegal to ALLOW a dog to chase deer. As long as intention is proven, you are in trouble. I'm not sure of the law of allowing your dogs to chase rabbits on other people's land. I know when we go out rabbiting, we always ask the landowners permission. Surely, this is a form of poaching, not to?

Helen
As far as I'm aware you must have written permission from the landowner to hunt rabbits on their land. Otherwise you could be charged with poaching. If it's a case of you out walking and your dog happens to catch a rabbit, that's different.
john100
Dogsey Senior
Male 

31-07-2007, 03:01 PM
Evie Hi. If your dog caught a rabbit while you were out walking it would still be poaching, simply because your dog would technically be hunting to catch it in the first place and your dog wouldn't be under control. I did post something similar on here a while ago. I don't think a police man is going to jump out of the bushes and arrest you for it and if the land owner came along he would probably rant and rave at you, as for being in public areas, there are always bylaws to cover such eventualities. My dogs hunt every day and I'm sure there are others on here who's dogs hunt. Mine go to ground on occasions which technically is illegal. The hunting laws that they bought in, are totally un police-able and always will be. Just don't get caught with your dog running around with a rabbit in its mouth lol. Even worse any game then you would be in trouble.
P.S have you thought about buying a muzzle lol
zero
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

31-07-2007, 04:13 PM
The way I have read it before is that it is when you go out with intent to hunt with your dog you break the rules but if your dog happens to catch a rabbit you are not. This was when I was reading about hunting with dogs - not poaching though.

BUT you know what?...until they stop mixymatosis (sp?) etc then I would laugh at anyone telling me how wrong it is if a dog happens to catch the odd rabbit. But i suppose it's better for lots of them to die of mixy, get squashed on the roads etc.

I don't like it if the dogs do catch one, especially healthy - but I also don't like them wandering around all diseased riddled.

It gets on my nerves the double standards, a dog is bad if it does what nature intends and catches the wild critter by chance yet pilocks will go out to shoot it, trap it, and watch them wander around half dying and that's fine.

Not aimed at you John but just my way of thinking about it.
john100
Dogsey Senior
Male 

31-07-2007, 04:50 PM
Rabbits

4 The hunting of rabbits is exempt if it takes place on land-

(a) which belongs to the hunter, or
(b) which he has been given permission to use for the purpose by the occupier or, in the case of unoccupied land, by a person to whom it belongs.

Madam ? I rest my case. I do not think there is any need for further dialog on this issue. I think the about paragraph clearly states that anyone entering land and allows there dog a free for all, IE, chasing and catching rabbits is illegal
I indeed have the greatest respect for any dog that is capable of catching quarry (legal)and to 'show' its natural capabilities in the field. Is it possible madam ? that you yourself have broken these laws lol. I await your response madam with great anticipation.
Evie
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

31-07-2007, 05:48 PM
Originally Posted by myschievous View Post
The way I have read it before is that it is when you go out with intent to hunt with your dog you break the rules but if your dog happens to catch a rabbit you are not. This was when I was reading about hunting with dogs - not poaching though.
Yes, it was along these lines that I was thinking....
I recall someone with lurchers that goes rabbiting telling me this. That to be prosecuted for illegal hunting/poaching they have to prove intent.... if you have bags, knives, nets etc with you then clearly this would be the case. If you just have nothing resembling hunting equipment with you, it would be hard to prove.
I'm no expert; just repeating what I was told by someone "in the business" so to speak! :smt001
john100
Dogsey Senior
Male 

31-07-2007, 07:54 PM
What is Hunting under the Act?
While it is ultimately for the courts to define what constitutes hunting in the light of cases brought before them, hunting should be understood in its ordinary English meaning, which includes searching for wild mammals, chasing them, or pursuing them with the intention of catching or killing them. The Act specifically relates to hunting with dogs. If no dogs are used, the Act does not apply. Hunting is an intentional activity, and there can be no such thing as accidental hunting. The Act makes clear that hunting with dogs includes engaging alone or participating with others in the pursuit of a wild mammal where a dog is used in that pursuit.
john100
Dogsey Senior
Male 

31-07-2007, 09:05 PM
Hi Mischievous Is that a Ms, Miss, or Mrs lol. No name on your public profile i see.? Cant you have a short nick name. I had to keep looking back to be able to spell Michyheavyus. lol. I think that there are a few points that you need correcting on if you dont mind.lol.
(1) Trapped animals dont generally wander around as they are confined in a trap
(2) Ive shot for nearly 40 years. I have yet to see a 'shot' animal wandering around either. Not all animals that are shot die instantly, although that is the main objective of shooting. No one intentionally wounds an animal. No i cant remember seeing a wounded animal wandering around. No disrespect, but wheres it wandering too?
(3) I personal dont know of anyone that shoots having a problem with dogs catching things. Its fine by me when Mrs Smiths poodle catches a myxi rabbit and takes ten minutes to maul it to death, (i hope there no Mrs Smith on here with a poodle)
I therefore dont understand your meaning of 'double standards'
REGARDS JOHN
Page 3 of 8 < 1 2 3 4 5 6 > Last »