View our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Lucky Star
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

07-04-2007, 10:09 PM
Thanks - yes he did have a strange swollen lip last year which luckily went down. I saw him doing his meercat impression this evening to get to a bee which was in our hedge!
kyektulu
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

08-04-2007, 01:38 PM
I have a spray meat tenderiser for stings, It is really good and I got the idea from the Doglopeadia.

Were taking one with us everywhere now, she is obsessed with bees!
Lucky Star
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

08-04-2007, 02:40 PM
It just got worse - today he has been charging around the garden, chasing bees and barking at them.
zero
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

11-04-2007, 02:15 AM
Originally Posted by Lucky Star View Post
It just got worse - today he has been charging around the garden, chasing bees and barking at them.
haha...I know when it is spring time here as last year and this year Takoda lets me know when he see's the first bee's of the year My boy wont bark at people hanging around outside but gives the bee's a proper telling off Both he and Keena smack them with their paws before squishing it then biting it and I really don't know how they haven't been stung - maybe they have but didn't thankfully react.

Anyway! No they don't grow out of it - the prey instinct! Mine both have very high prey instinct if they arn't play hunting something they are mock hunting each other.

But your ability to control the situations gets better.

Never would I let them chase domestic animals but I have to admit I do let them chase rabbits and like you if they catch one it'll be dinner later (so long as it's not mixy and off putting it doesn't go to waste) It's not ideal, I love the rabbits but then they are considered a pest and contracting mixy as a method of control is a much worse way to go. They chase the deer too (never near roads, wide open spaces only) - it's probably wrong but they look amazing flat out running so fast so I stand and watch several seconds before reeling them back in - they are more willing to stop a chase on deer as they arn't chasing them to catch them - but for the chase only I know this after observing many times - i'm sure if they had gone hungry long enough they would soon become more serious...The dogs are used to me hiding when they start the chase, that way they know if they chase for any length of time they have lost me and this works with them and keeps the chase to a minimum. But with the rabbits they can't resist to mouth them as they are so erratic and the dogs become fixated and even if killing them is not something they think about it happens by accident in their big mouths! Both dogs have caught rabbits and both will let go when told, most rabbits were mixy and lived and I wished I hadn't got the dogs to give them up (poor things) and the last rabbit Keena got that she dropped as soon as told unfortunatly had been clamped to hard and had died, it was healthy and was dinner some weeks later.

Saying that it makes them sound totally out of control but at the same time both dogs travelled in the truck with the poor injured deer we tried to save and left her alone because I said so. When we first discovered her Takoda as some will remember did try to make a meal out of her it seemed but as soon as I said leave he backed right off on the first command. I know I have control of them and if in doubt I don't give them the chance in the first place.
Wysiwyg
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

11-04-2007, 02:07 PM
Re the bees - sorry I'm going to sound like a party pooper!

One dog I know got stung in the mouth and had anaphylactic shock, he was dying and his tongue was swollen and his lips went blue. His owner had to carry him to the car and drove like a maniac to the vets where he was treated.

He was OK and lived to tell the tale as they say.

Wys
x
zero
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

11-04-2007, 02:57 PM
Originally Posted by Wysiwyg View Post
Re the bees - sorry I'm going to sound like a party pooper!
Hi, not at all do you think mine just haven't gotten stung yet? I stop them from messing with them when I realise but usually the bee is stumbling around by then having already been whacked and mouthed a few times.
Wolfie
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

11-04-2007, 04:10 PM
Luca has a higher prey drive than my other two and when we're in the field I don't stop them chasing rabbits etc. I think my GSDs will chase for the sake of it, but I have known Shaan to kill his quarry. We have an obscene amount of rabbits, foxes, rats and mice here (the joys of the countryside!!) so as far as I'm concerned, all my dogs are doing is controlling the numbers.

I'm fortunate enough to have the field for them to hunt and chase. They're NOT allowed to do this anywhere else, and will recall when told.
john100
Dogsey Senior
Male 

19-07-2007, 09:05 PM
The world needs more people like you. Spot on i say
Louise13
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

19-07-2007, 09:26 PM
Well I would safely assume the prey drive is one of the Mal/Sibe traits they have inherited
AnneUK
Almost a Veteran
Female 

19-07-2007, 09:46 PM
Pretty much most breeds can have a high prey drive, I think it depends on the individual dog. It'd might be worth speaking with a qualified behaviourist to see if they can help with doing one to one sessions.
Page 2 of 8 < 1 2 3 4 5 > Last »