Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Mother*ship
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

20-07-2010, 03:08 PM
Originally Posted by Trouble View Post
I find the best way to desensitise dogs to noise/sounds is to play their favourite game while the noise is going on. For example with fireworks we would go outside while they're going off and play ball or tuggy games. Diesel used to be very sound sensitive and would go all slinky and cower, household appliances used to make him go and hide in his bed, so I started playing tuggy while juicing etc until he learnt that noises actually produced rewards. I definitely wouldn't have him sitting on my lap with fear, I keep a squeeky toy or something to hand to distract him with instead.
Thanks for posting, unfortunately Gozo isn't greatly into toys, I've tried squeekies, tuggies, balls, really never been very interested (unlike the other 2!). So I can't think what I could do to distract him?

The more I post about him the more boring he sounds! But I guess that he is just one of those dogs that really just likes to potter, he likes to potter around the park, likes to say hello to other dogs but doesn't play, he likes to potter around the house and find the comfiest spot (which will be next to me if I'm sitting down). He just doesn't seem bothered about toys and games and training like the other 2. He play fights with Enzo fairly frequently and very occasionally with Pepper but that's about it.

J.
wilbar
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

21-07-2010, 09:29 AM
If you think it is general nervousness & lack of confidence, rather than a fear of specific things, then there are some ways of helping your dog. If it is fear of specific things like loud noises, then a desensitisation/counter conditioning programme should help.

More generalised anxieties & lack of confidence may require a different sort of help. But you need to have a long hard think about your dog's emotional state & behaviour before you decide what is going on. Sometimes it is difficult when you are with the dog every day because small changes may go unnoticed, or some triggers for specific fears may be missed, sometimes through taking certain behaviours for granted or sometimes because the behavioural reactions can be very subtle, especially if the dog's reaction to certain things is to shut down, or internalise ~ it may just appear that the dog is a bit quiet & you don't always register these times.

If you do think that it is lack of confidence & general anxiety, then a programme that gives your dog confidence will help enormously ~ & this is where clicker training can be so useful. Clicker training is a method of positive reinforcement ~ the aim is to set it up so the dog can be successful in getting a reinforcer. A reinforcer is anything that causes a behaviour to increase ~ so it may be food, praise, petting, a game with a toy, or just your attention. But the whole idea is to set things up so the dog can succeed. It doesn't really matter what you train or teach your dog to do ~ even just a sit, or give a paw ~ as long as the dog can be rewarded with something it likes.

As an analogy of how this works, think of a child in school getting praise from a teacher for doing something well ~ they can feel pride in their achievements, they will be motivated to do that thing again, it boosts their confidence no end as they know that they can do that thing well. It also gives them a feeling of control over some aspect of their lives, i.e. that they can influence outcomes by their behaviour, & that can be extremely motivating. That is the behavioural side of things, the side we can actually see & notice.

There is also the physiological aspects of positive reinforcement ~ the internal workings that we don't see. By practising the things we are good at, by being successful & getting something rewarding, we are also modifying the emotional state, strengthening the brain pathways related to positive emotional states & increasing serotonin levels ~ the "feel good" hormone, that gives us a sense of well-being. So all these are good things designed to improve confidence.

The other things you can look at with your dog (as well as doing some pos reinforcement work) is to look at your dog's routine & general management. What triggers can you identify for anxious behaviour & can you eliminate or reduce the exposure? Are there things your dog would like to do but isn't allowed to, e.g. sleep on the sofa, have some quiet time alone, relax with or near to another companion animal, have a game with you, be groomed etc etc. The more you can accommodate these wishes, especially the ones that help your dog feel able to relax & rest properly, the better. The more you can do to reduce anxious states, the better.

I hope this help explain why pos reinforcement can help with anxiety issues. Don't worry if clicker training doesn't work for your dog, just think of other ways to reward & allow your dog to succeed.
Mother*ship
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

21-07-2010, 09:55 AM
Wow! Thanks Wilbar for taking the time to write such a long and detailed response full of good ideas!

It has certainly given me food for thought. Sometimes I do wonder if Gozo would have been happier if he was an only dog He gets very grumpy with Enzo, my other Affen, and even occasionally with Pepper. On the other hand he doesn't like to be separated from them.

He has definitely been worse since he was frightened by the motorbike backfiring, it seems to have made him more anxious about everything but especially about loud and sudden noises. But we live in West London so I can't protect him from all noise.

The only things that I can think of that he likes but isn't allowed to do is sit on the windowsill and bark at passing cats and have me all to himself! And neither of these are going to change!!!

In the meantime do you think it's worth getting him a DAP collar while I try some of the confidence building methods you suggest?

Thanks again,

J.
wilbar
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

21-07-2010, 12:14 PM
I certainly wouldn't rule out the DAP collars, as anecdotal evidence from others suggests that they can work. However I practice as a feline behaviourist & I've heard very mixed results about the cat equivalents.

As he likes to have your undivided attention, maybe you could put aside some time a day ~ maybe just 5 - 10 mins twice a day ~ which you devote solely to him? Do very calming things, like cuddling, grooming, petting, chatting, whatever he likes. Perhaps someone else in your family could take other dogs away for these times & amuse them?

As for barking at cats, I'm not sure that this is the sort of activity that should be encouraged. This sort of behaviour is either predatory behaviour or territorial behaviour ~ either way it is not the sort of positive, rewarding behaviours that increases serotonin production. Predatory & territorial behaviours have very different physiology.

You are looking for things that your dog can do calmly, in a relaxed manner. One of the principles I was taught was "AFFF" activities ~ All Four Feet Flat. By keeping the dog calm & relatively still it decreases dopamine & other flight or fight neural activity. So things like sit, down, touch a target, etc are the sort of things that would fit the bill.

Try, if you can, do reduce exposure to the things that worry him. I know that traffic noises are difficult in your area, but perhap the TV or radio would help muffle them, or perhaps your dog would prefer to sleep in a place that is at the back of your house away from street noise?

Good luck with him ~ I hope he starts to feel a bit better soon.
Page 2 of 2 < 1 2