View our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Cleopatra
New Member!
Female 

11-03-2010, 07:21 PM

Hello from me and my 4-legged tribe (treatments for canine arthritis)...

Hi I'm glad I found this site but, as I'm new, I don't know how it works.... I'd really like to ask if anybody has any opinions on or experiences on treatments for canine arthritis that I could then discuss with my vet (or not as the case be). My labXcollie has suffered with this in his shoulders since he was about 6 years old but, as he is now nearly 15, its getting worse. He's been on Metacam for many years and he's ok on it but I'm wondering if anyone has any thoughts on this. I know about the possible side-effects of NSAIDs but weighing up the value of pain relief to him I consider it crucial that he continue with some form of painkiller. I hear there are some new ones out and I wondered if anyone has had any experience with these? Thanks to anyone who has some input on this. Apologies if this is not the sort of thing I'm supposed to put in a post......
Meg
Supervisor
Female  Diamond Supporter 

12-03-2010, 12:38 AM
Hi Helen an welcome to Dogsey .
I am not aware of anyone on here mentioning using a new medication for pain relief , maybe someone will do so now .

he is now nearly 15, its getting worse. He's been on Metacam for many years and he's ok on it but I'm wondering if anyone has any thoughts on this
I know that NSAIDs supposedly have side effects if given long term but with a dog of advanced years I think that is less of a consideration than reducing pain.
What does your vet say?
Cleopatra
New Member!
Female 

12-03-2010, 08:18 AM
Thanks for your reply Minihaha. I read about new painkillers in a dog magazine whilst waiting at my vets the other day which is what sparked me to write asking for anyones' experiences and opinions. The new one I'm especially interested in is Mavacoxib which goes by the name of Trocoxil and has been developed by Pfizer. This is administered only once a month and their website has some interesting information explaining the benefits of a monthly dosage. I know that my vet is going to be the person to ask about this and I intend to do so but I'm interested in hearing about anyones' personal experiences with this if anyone has tried it with their dog. Thanks again.
wilbar
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

12-03-2010, 08:48 AM
Hi. I have a 6 year old lab with hip dysplasia so I'm aware of the pitfalls of arthritis & pain management. So far I've managed Barney's situation with a combination of joint supplements (Cosequin), hydrotherapy & keeping his weight down. Touch wood, he hasn't needed any pain relief yet, but I have noticed a deterioration over this winter as he's quite stiff after long walks, but then so am I!! So we're struggling together.

I agree that with your dog being 15, pain management is the priority, so I would definitely speak to your vet about possible alternatives to long term NSAIDs. I can also highly recommend hydrotherapy provided it is supervised closely by a qualified canine hydrotherapist ~ it can help enormously in keeping joints clear of detritis that causes pain, by exercising muscles, tendons & ligaments in a nearly weight-free environment so there is no pressure on the joint and it helps to keep a bigger range of pain-free movement. If you can find a good hydrotherapy centre near you, it would definitely be worth a try.

Another alternative to try is acupuncture for pain relief, which can have good results.

I'll keep my eyes open for any developments in pain management & post here if I see anything.
muttzrule
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

12-03-2010, 08:53 AM
Hi and Welcome to Dogsey! Do you have your old guy on any supplements to help his joints. I would suggest putting him on daily Glucosamine/Chondroitin/MSM supplement (they formulate some specially for dogs, don't know what they call them in your country though) and a Fish Oil supplement. The Omega 3's do wonders for the joints.

As for the NSAID, I agree with Mini that at this point, I would worry less about the long term side effects and more about his comfort level.

Something to be noted when switching NSAIDS is you have to stop the current NSAID for a week, let it get out of the system, before starting something new.

My third thought would be adding a narcotic pain reliever like Tramadol. Tramadol is an opioid based pain reliever that is only mildly sedating, and then usually only the first few doeses. But it does wonders for pain. Vets here are using it in tandem with NSAIDS on dogs with severe arthritis.

Good luck!
Cleopatra
New Member!
Female 

12-03-2010, 09:53 AM
Thankyou for both replies-it's lovely to be able to talk to like-minded people!! I wish I had started Jobe with hydrotherapy sessions a while ago. He used to be a complete water-baby and loved swimming in our local tidal river during past summers retrieving a ball. Obviously I can't get him in and out the river now and would worry if he got into trouble anyway since I can't swim myself. I also don't drive so this poses a problem also.And yes I have him on supplements. He has big doses of glucosamine and chondroitin daily along with MSM, Omega3 (lots of!!) and Evening Primrose. I have him on Magnesium too as recommended by my Natural Healthcare for Pets book and also Silica. He has a magnetic collar and a copper collar although I remove these at night as he suffers a bit from a weakened larynx, as Labs are prone to, and I don't want the collars to make his breathing anymore difficult. I'm very grateful for anything anyone else can say has worked for their dog and I'll bear the Tramadol in my mind when I speak to my vet. Thankyou so much.
ClaireandDaisy
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

12-03-2010, 10:00 AM
Hi there
I`ve had 3 dogs on Metacam long term (5 years+) and not had any ill effects. I think you have to consider quality of life. If my current Oldie was not on Metacam he wouldn`t be able to walk.
One of mine benefitted greatly from acupuncture (he had arthritis and spondylosis), and all of them have been helped by supplements - glucosomine & chondroitin, cod liver oil, devils claw etc. These are given as well as the medication.
And the swimming definitely helps.
I also bought a fleece with `legs` to keep the dogs` shoulders warm, and that helps in cold weather. (like the ones here http://www.dogsey.com/showthread.php?t=121856)
Alf
Dogsey Senior
Female 

12-03-2010, 05:56 PM
Have any of you considered Cartrophen Injections?
They can be a miracle drug for most dogs with arthritis.
They do have to come of NSAIDS while having the course though there are other pain relief that can be used alongside until the Cartrophen takes effect
http://www.kvh.com.au/Cartrophen%20Vet.html
Cleopatra
New Member!
Female 

12-03-2010, 10:38 PM
I am SOOO glad to have discovered this site!! Thanks for all the suggestions you've given- I will discuss the medical options with my vet and post an update here. The Cartrophen in particular looks to be a very interesting idea. I do find, incidentally, that it benefits Jobe to wear a short Tshirt type thing knotted at the "waist" to keep his shoulder and elbow joints warm. He wears it all the time at this time of year. I also massage his neck area fairly vigorously every day since my vet pointed out to me some years ago that he uses his neck muscles to "throw" himself forward when he walks in an attempt to lessen the use of his shoulder muscles. His neck muscles often feel solid as a result of this and he gets much relief (obvious from the "pleased" noises he makes!!) when I soothe these for him. It helps him to sleep comfortably. Thanks to everyone who has offered their experiences.
Alf
Dogsey Senior
Female 

13-03-2010, 09:56 AM
The Cartrophen is definitely worth a try, I know of 3 dogs that have benefited from it greatly. It doesn't work for all dogs but is effective for most.
Good luck