View our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Sara1210
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

12-09-2006, 04:59 PM

Can i have your opinion please? (rescue dog growling at children)

As most of you know, i havent had Tia very long. She came here from a rescue.

She is a gorgeous dog but we have had a problem over the last few days.

Since picking her up, she has always growled if we play games with her ie: Tug of war or something similar. I didnt think anything serious of it, but over the last 4 or 5 days she seems to of took a sudden dislike to the children
Particulary my 2 year old, i know he hasnt done anything to her without me seeing as i never leave them together unless i am watching them

This afternoon, Rocky laid on Tia and she started growling, i did smack him for it but he is only 2 and doesnt properly realise what he is doing. Both of my kids think all dogs are really friendly, they dont seem to associate dogs with biting.

Im really confused as this isnt the only time she has growled at them, its just an example.
My mum says i should contact the staffie rescue and just inform them of what is happening.

This whole thing has really upset me as i have got really close to Tia in the time she has been here, but i need to look out for my children too.

So can i have your opinion please?
mutthouse
Almost a Veteran
Female 

12-09-2006, 05:39 PM
Not sure i can help i'm sure someone will be along soon with more knowledge but i do know staffy's to be a talkative breed when playing - best wishes xx
Sal
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

12-09-2006, 05:59 PM
Definatly get in touch with rescue,that in my opinion is not a typical stafford temperament.
I would take the growl as a warning sign,i wouldn't tolerate any dog that growled at my kids.What else has she growled at?
Helena54
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

12-09-2006, 06:05 PM
Hmmmmm Staffie or any dog I think would protest if a 2yr. old layed on them! No?! Even my big dogs would give out a warning!
and again all dogs are pretty vocal when it comes to playtime and will growl at me when I'm playing with them, but methinks this was a different type of growl Tia did when your son did that - perhaps?

Good luck, it's a shame, but keep a very strict eye on her when the kids are around I think. Can't suggest anything else to do at the moment.
younglady
Dogsey Senior
Female 

12-09-2006, 06:35 PM
sorry to hear this, my staffy normal growls when he is in a bad mood or doesnt understand whats going on normally if u talk to him or get your kids to talk to him as they touch him and dont take him by suprise he will be more relaxed (i know that sounds a bit crazy but works with our rescue staffy) hope that helps xxxx
Borderdawn
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

12-09-2006, 06:43 PM
At the risk of getting shouted at, I (personally) would return the dog to rescue, a Staff that growls at anybody is NOT displaying the true Staff temperament, although a lot of dogs dont like being laid on, you say it isnt the first time Tia has done this. A "snap" from a Staff, even if it is a warning can do considerable damage. Good luck.
Dawn.
leo
Dogsey Veteran
Male 

12-09-2006, 06:44 PM
are you sure its not health related or a change in behaviour due to a season.
Zetacharlie
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

12-09-2006, 06:49 PM
All I can say is a 2 year old playing rough with a terrier ( any terrier) could be a recipe for disaster....I know staffies are better with kids than a lot of other terriers but most terriers are inclined to "fight back" if they are treated roughly- even in play.Esp. as this dog is a rescue do u know its background ?My goodness if I had very young children Id be a bit concerned.....
Sara1210
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

12-09-2006, 06:51 PM
Originally Posted by leo View Post
are you sure its not health related or a change in behaviour due to a season.
Positive, she has been checked over by the vet and she is speyed
novavizz
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

12-09-2006, 06:53 PM
Sara, Staffords, like most bull breeds are very vocal whilst playing, however I am sure you know the difference between a 'play' growl and a 'warning' growl.

If I were in your position I would be ringing the rescue group that Tia came from and speak to them, explain what has gone on and ask their advice.

In the meantime keep Tia away from your 2 yr old just to be on the safe side. Good Luck
Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4 >