Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Lou
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

18-09-2006, 01:59 PM

New law

I've just rang the police to ask them about this new law that came out this morning.

If your child is under 12 or under 135cm then they must have a booster seat if their sitting in the front of the car, but what i'm trying to find out is, if she is under 135cm and has to sit in the back does she still need a booster seat?

Or because she's under 12, can she still sit in the front without a booster seat, if she's 135cm or more.

They said they'll get back to me within the hour with answers
lizdll
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

18-09-2006, 02:34 PM
Hi just been reading on the bbc website but it doesnt say anything about front + back just states is children up to the age of 12 or up to the height 135 cm will have to use safety seats
Luz
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

18-09-2006, 02:37 PM
Its not very clear is it? If your child is over 135cm but under 12 then they cannot ride in the front without a booster seat is that right? If so I broke the law today!
lizdll
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

18-09-2006, 02:41 PM
Originally Posted by Luz View Post
Its not very clear is it? If your child is over 135cm but under 12 then they cannot ride in the front without a booster seat is that right? If so I broke the law today!
from what i understand is that if your child is over 135cm then they dont have to have a safety seat
Lou
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

18-09-2006, 02:42 PM
The police have just called me back and said, my daughter will have to have a booster seat whether she sits in the front or back.

She said they've had loads of calls about this today, She said but there's one problem, everywhere has sold out So she advised me to buy a second hand one

The government bought this stupid law in to force today, so they should fund for the booster seats IMO
Lou
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

18-09-2006, 02:44 PM
Originally Posted by lizdll View Post
from what i understand is that if your child is over 135cm then they dont have to have a safety seat
I've just asked the officer that, and she said my daughter will have to sit in a booster seat because she's only 7 whether she's in the front or back, by law
Lou
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

18-09-2006, 02:46 PM
Something like that Luz I'll be breaking the law again tomorrow, because everywhere has sold out, so i can't get one tonight.
Luz
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

18-09-2006, 02:47 PM
Originally Posted by lizdll View Post
Does that apply to the front seat as well? Ive tried to find any information on them travelling in the front but it doesnt say they cant that I can see. Both my boys are under 10 but are both over 5ft.
lizdll
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

18-09-2006, 02:52 PM
Does that apply to the front seat as well? Ive tried to find any information on them travelling in the front but it doesnt say they cant that I can see. Both my boys are under 10 but are both over 5ft.
my nephew is 9 but because hes 5ft he doesnt need a safety seat weather he sits in the back or front but if he was under 135 cms then he would need one
lizdll
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

18-09-2006, 02:55 PM
Child seats compulsory until children reach 135 cm or the age of 12
Children up to age of 3 must be carried in appropriate seat
Exemption for over-3s in "unexpected necessity"
Exemption if there are three children but only room for two car seats
Fine of up to £500

this is from the bbc website.
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 >