View our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Louise13
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

09-01-2007, 04:14 PM

Malamutes & Sibes Owners "breaking the law"??Working Them!!

Ok sorry but wanted to take this away from the weight pull thread ...

Mahooli said
As I said permits have to be obtained for people using their malamutes and huskys for rig pulling.
Becky
I then said
UMM sorry NO..

Permits don't have to be obtained to use the dogs.. the permits are obtained to use the Forestry Trails and they come from the Forestry Commission..

it is entirely up to the owner if they want to work their dogs, they don't need permission from anyone
Mahooli then said
Then they are breaking the law.
Becky
I then asked what law are we breaking by working our dogs to do what they are bred for??
Lottie
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

09-01-2007, 04:18 PM
No expert on this Louise, but know at least one person who works her huskies. She even offered for Takara to join them in their sled dog team.

One of the members on here has a dally who loves pulling weights - she found out by mistake when he took off attached to her brothers' sled with her brothers in it. lol
Louise13
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

09-01-2007, 04:21 PM
Well I am desperate to know how its breaking the law..

Its where they came from, its what they do, its what they are bred to do and it's what they love..

and no one has been arrested for it yet
Lottie
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

09-01-2007, 04:23 PM
How can the Forestry Commission offer permits knowing what you're going to use them for, if it's illegal? Surely they wouldn't issue permits if it was something that you're not allowed to do...
Hevvur
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

09-01-2007, 04:24 PM
I wonder why Mahooli hasn't backed up the claim with a link to a site that shows this 'law'?
Most people like to back up their claims.
IsoChick
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

09-01-2007, 04:25 PM
Surely if the Forestry Commission are happy for you to use their land to rig-pull/work on, without an additional permit to the one you mention above, I can't see the problem?

People compete in rig-pulling all the time (in this country?) and from what I've seen they're fairly large events. I can't see the police, RSPCA etc letting these happen if they are illegal!
susanatlasinski
Dogsey Senior
Female 

09-01-2007, 04:25 PM
As far as I'm aware it is illegal to use dogs as a mode of transport on the public highway but not on private land e.g. forestry land, that's where the permit comes in.

I personally know a few policemen who work their Sibes.
Greyhawk
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

09-01-2007, 04:37 PM
Originally Posted by susanatlasinski View Post
As far as I'm aware it is illegal to use dogs as a mode of transport on the public highway but not on private land e.g. forestry land, that's where the permit comes in.

Yes this is correct - we work our dogs and although it is illegal to use dogs as a mode of transport on public highways, it isn't illegal on private land. Most people don't own enough land on which to work their dogs so they purchase permits which enable them to use land such as is owned by the Forestry commision etc.

There is nothing wrong with Sled-dogs doing what they were bred to do
Greyhawk
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

09-01-2007, 04:45 PM
Originally Posted by Louise13 View Post
I then asked what law are we breaking by working our dogs to do what they are bred for??
This is the relevant law, taken from the Protection of Animals Act 1911.

9 Use of dogs for purposes of draught

If any person shall use, or cause or procure, or being the owner permit, to be used, any dog for the purpose of drawing or helping to draw any cart, carriage, truck, or barrow, on any public highway, he shall be liable upon summary conviction in respect of the first offence to a fine not exceeding [level 1 on the standard scale].

However apparenly this law does not extend to Scotland

As long as you are not using the dogs in harness on public highways then you are breaking no law Most Sled Dog owners are extremely concientious and all should have public liability insurance if working their dogs (in fact most places who issue permits insist upon it).
Amie
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

09-01-2007, 04:47 PM
Originally Posted by susanatlasinski View Post

This is what I believe too I know I'm allowed to do carting with my Dogs on private land but not on piblic Highway.
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 >