Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Lottie
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

12-03-2006, 02:51 PM

JSI - how big?

Hi,

I thought, from looking at piccies of Lennon and Roxy, that JSIs were actually sort of at least medium sized dogs, but when watching crufts last night (after I'd got home from the live show - and didn't see the JSIs) there was one on that looked really quite small!

How big are they? I always thought they were quite big, from what I saw, which wasn't as a lot as I caught it going off, it was only about the size of a beagle, maybe slightly larger.

Thanks - would be interested to know, from the name I expected them to be quite big!
Archer
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

12-03-2006, 03:56 PM
Dogs 15 1/2 inches,bitches 14 1/2 inches with an allowance of 1.5cm either way...so in other words 14-16 inches
Lottie
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

12-03-2006, 04:11 PM
Originally Posted by Archer
Dogs 15 1/2 inches,bitches 14 1/2 inches with an allowance of 1.5cm either way...so in other words 14-16 inches
Thanks Archer, I expected them to be so much bigger. So about the same size as a beagle then...

Bless! They only likkle!
I think it's the wolfie look they've got vaguely like sibes etc. I suppose I just expected them to be the same size!
Archer
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

12-03-2006, 04:12 PM
http://www.infodog.com/brag/dogpage/NM73868502.htm

have a look here...
but one thing...DON'T EVER tell a shiba they're only small
Archer
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

12-03-2006, 04:14 PM
Originally Posted by Lottie
Thanks Archer, I expected them to be so much bigger. So about the same size as a beagle then...

Bless! They only likkle!
I think it's the wolfie look they've got vaguely like sibes etc. I suppose I just expected them to be the same size!
Although the same height as a beagle they are much smaller...shorter backer and lighter build
Lottie
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

12-03-2006, 04:14 PM
lol! that's a bit like my friend's miniature pinscher, thinks he's a doberman pinscher and set a great dane off the other day lol
Vicki
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

12-03-2006, 04:18 PM
"Sheebs" are a huge Bull Mastiff/DDB/Great Dane wrapped up in a medium spitz-shaped body
Certainly not a small dog - more medium IMO. Small to me is anything toy.
Archer
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

12-03-2006, 04:26 PM
Originally Posted by Vicki
"Sheebs" are a huge Bull Mastiff/DDB/Great Dane wrapped up in a medium spitz-shaped body
Certainly not a small dog - more medium IMO. Small to me is anything toy.
suppose I see them as small because we class elkies as medium sized
Vicki
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

12-03-2006, 04:33 PM
Originally Posted by Archer
suppose I see them as small because we class elkies as medium sized
Funny how people's perceptions differ isn't it Nikki? I would say that Labs are large, as are GSD's Teurv's, even boxers. The larger breeds like Dane, Mastiff, DDB I would class as Giant. Not sure what I would class an Elkie as, as I've not had the good fortune to see one up close.
Pita
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

12-03-2006, 06:00 PM
The size of elks is related to how much the - vet - kennels - insurance - etc charges and how the charges are organized, if it is by size toy, small, medium, large, giant then Elks are large, otherwise they are medium. Also depends if you are talking height or weight, they do weigh more than you would expect about the same as a Sibe although they are or should be shorter by about an inch but have heaver bone and are shorter in the back.