Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Laura
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

15-02-2005, 09:23 AM

Dew Claw..

Cassy split her dew claw while charging around the woods on Saturday afternoon. I cleaned it up when we got home and she seemed okay. It is split down the middle (right to the pad) and also cut off so there is almost no nail left.

I have in the past experienced split claws (never dew claws) with dogs and have taken them to the vets when what they have done is clean it up, sometimes put them on antibiotics and just let it heal. So this time I decided that the split claw did not warrent a visit to the vets as I could clean it myself and watch it and 3 days later she is okay and the small pad & claw looks okay but it is very tender.

Do these claws grow back and is it something you think would require treatment by a professional?

Cheers
Hevvur
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

15-02-2005, 09:29 AM
Kingsley broke his dew claw off last year. It broke right at the base, where it meets his leg.
He caught it on something in the garden. It bled quite a lot, and he limped for a day or so!

It has grown back, but it is thinner than the other one, and he doesn't like it being touched!
Laura
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

15-02-2005, 09:32 AM
Thanks Hevvur that was all I really wanted to know. I did not want to rush off to the vets at the time as it seemed minor but you know afterwards you start to think lol.

Thanks
Laura
Hevvur
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

15-02-2005, 09:35 AM
Yeah! I decided to just keep an eye on it for a day or so before I took him to the vets!
I decided not to though, as he stopped limping after a day, and it didn't seem to bother him.
Jenny234
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

15-02-2005, 03:54 PM
its hard to say wether or not to go to the vets. Indie cut her paw a while back and i jus cleaned it up myself, about a week later she was throwing up. Dont kno if it were to do with that, but she ended up havin an injection of antibiotics and some tablets.

I think as long as u keep it clean it will be ok, cos indies paw got lots of crap in it so thats probably why.

i wud jus keep an eye and take her down if she starts lookin ill
Murphy
Almost a Veteran
Female 

15-02-2005, 04:21 PM
Murph ripped his right out and its took almost two years to grow back but its a funny shape -I've not had to trim it yet -I'd keep it clean and keep an eye on it -infection from the dew claw travels very quickly up the leg
Pita
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

15-02-2005, 04:57 PM
It is important to make sure there is no infection set in at the nail root and if that happens the dog will start to lick at it and it may well feel hot. If in doubt then a trip to the vet is called for but if it heals quickly there should not be a problem.
Laura
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

16-02-2005, 08:21 AM
I think I will take her tomorrow just to be on the safe side. Its typical the only time I dont bother going to the vets I think I probably should have done. Usually I am there with the slightest itch. She has not been licking too much only after a walk but it is rather tender and quite deep actually. I cleaned it with hibuscrub but rather than take a chance I will take her to the vets tomorrow.

Thanks for the Info everybody.
Laura
Laura
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

16-02-2005, 08:22 AM
I meant to say it started to bleed again last night after a walk so I will be taking her to the vets.

Laura
Hevvur
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

16-02-2005, 08:49 AM
Good idea Laura!
Let us know how she gets on!
Page 1 of 2 1 2 >