Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Luke
Dogsey Veteran
Male 

23-11-2006, 09:23 PM
Originally Posted by Hewey View Post
Because dairy calves are caused to be born just to be killed to supply a demand of man. Whilst, I am sure, like me you would wish that to be done with the least distress to the calf and the cow I cannot see the difference.
People seem to forget about things like this, everyone wants milk on their cornflakes (As Dawn Said!), Bacon next to their eggs, Eggs next to their bacon, chicke nuggest in their Macdonalds Happy Meal etc-quite happy to condone all this!
Brundog
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

23-11-2006, 09:31 PM
Originally Posted by Luke View Post
People seem to forget about things like this, everyone wants milk on their cornflakes (As Dawn Said!), Bacon next to their eggs, Eggs next to their bacon, chicke nuggest in their Macdonalds Happy Meal etc-quite happy to condone all this!
perhaps we are but that is to some classed as different to a dog - I dont keep a cow as a pet and if I did I might feel differently about the treatment of cows, however I do keep a dog and a rescue at that.

I dont agree with the culling presented by Dawn, regarding her friends pups and again its due to the deliberate breeding ofthe dog - knowing that most would be killed. I think thats fundamentally wrong and would class this person as very irresponsible. He thinks he is responsible because he knows where all his pups are - however he did not need to create that situation in the first place as it wasnt an accidental mating it was a deliberate cross.

This isnt a vegetarian forum its a dog forum so I think the whole cow argument is off topic really in the scheme of things.
Hewey
Dogsey Senior
Female 

23-11-2006, 09:40 PM
I am not a vegetarian. The reason why I mention it is to explain the logic behind my point of view. A vegetarian may argue that we have no need of dairy products but I think we would both reject that and say that is their opinion but we do not share it and it is acceptable when welfare isues are observed to the best of our abilities.
You say he did not need to create this situation but I do not think either of us know what his particular needs for a working dog were or his particular experience would be in finding appropriate homes for the very large number in the litter so I think we have to allow him his opinion as to the what was required.
AnneUK
Almost a Veteran
Female 

23-11-2006, 09:42 PM
Originally Posted by JoedeeUK View Post
In our GSD rescue any bitches that come in pregnant(not many thank goodness)are either spayed before the puppies are born if it is safe to do so or all or most of the puppies PTS soon after birth depending on the bitches health
I am shocked. and people question why I won't send my dogs onto breed rescues.
I agree with spaying a pregnant bitch pre 6weeks but to kill pups once they have been born - sorry I can't see how you can class yourself as a rescue
Kanikula
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

23-11-2006, 10:20 PM
wow what an emotive thread!

well here i go into the the pit...........

Culling unjustifyibly is wrong IMO. To breed knowing that a 3rd of pups will be PTS is irrisponsible and again IMO cruel. If you want a dog, go to a recue or breeder that you trust. Dont do it yourself knowing that homes are not in place and the future of the pups is none existant. Doing this is a thoughtless act of selfishness.

As for comparing the breeding of puppies to food stock, well, thats just a bit daft! I mean come on, the cows are not reared then slaughted then burned in a furness. They are eaten, fullfilling (sp!) their orignal purpose!!

On the otherhand culling because it a nessesity well IMO thats another matter. How about deformed animals that are undoubtly going to suffer?

Then there is the "fine line" of culling puppies from a rescue bitch!? Thats a hard one to call. A very hard one!. Would you let the dam keep her pups knowing that there is no room at the inn for them?? Risking kennel cough and other illness they have not been treated for?

As for the vet that did this being unethical, i think thats a tad extreme. The vet must have been between a rock and a hard place and shouldnt be judged without putting his/her reasons across first.

Each culling should be taken on its own "merit" and not piled into the same catagory as every case will and does differ.

PS sorry for the appauling spelling and also the fact im realy pants at getting my point accross!
Hewey
Dogsey Senior
Female 

23-11-2006, 10:36 PM
Originally Posted by Kanikula View Post
Each culling should be taken on its own "merit" and not piled into the same catagory as every case will and does differ.
Yes, I agree
Patch
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

23-11-2006, 11:54 PM
Originally Posted by Luke View Post
I`m vegetarian, no I don`t have `normal` milk, [ I am also intending on getting a couple of rescue goats which I will milk myself as I have done in the past, by hand, much to the relief of the pet goat concerned ], I very rarely eat eggs but when I do they are free range, [ my landlady has pet hens which she rescued and is forever offering me eggs ], I certainly don`t eat bacon, chicken nuggets, or any other dead animal, and I don`t like cornflakes.
Radar Ears
Dogsey Senior
Female 

24-11-2006, 12:30 AM
Originally Posted by Hewey View Post
I respect your opinion as to what loving dogs might mean. I think you should respect other people's

It was a comment I made, not addressed to anyone in particular, so
please do not have the audacity to tell me that you think that I should respect other people's opinions, why should I, if I disagree with them ?
Roxy
Dogsey Veteran
Female  Diamond Supporter 

24-11-2006, 08:20 AM
Originally Posted by Radar Ears View Post
It was a comment I made, not addressed to anyone in particular, so
please do not have the audacity to tell me that you think that I should respect other people's opinions, why should I, if I disagree with them ?
(off topic)
I have to say that anyone who cant respect other peoples opinions even though they disagree with them is very narrow minded.

I dont agree with lots of things in this world but am prepared to listen to their side of the argument and respect their opinions that is what good debating is all about. If your not prepared to respect the person you are arguing against then Im sorry to say it becomes a slanging match IMHO
Radar Ears
Dogsey Senior
Female 

24-11-2006, 08:58 AM
Originally Posted by Roxy View Post
(off topic)
I have to say that anyone who cant respect other peoples opinions even though they disagree with them is very narrow minded.

I dont agree with lots of things in this world but am prepared to listen to their side of the argument and respect their opinions that is what good debating is all about. If your not prepared to respect the person you are arguing against then Im sorry to say it becomes a slanging match IMHO
(off topic)
Roxy,

There are a lot of people generally (I'm sure you'll agree) who don't respect other peoples' opinions.

This is (as has been said) an emotive thread, things have got slightly heated.

I'm not narrow minded, people please themselves what they do, it's just that I didn't like being spoken to, in what I considered to be a condescending manner, telling me what I should or shouldn't do.

I know what my beliefs are, they are not to everyone's taste, so before this gets personal with anyone, I'll go off.

This is a serious thread, so I shouldn't have really posted this "off-topic" post. (apologies).

I'm afraid things have changed a bit, so I'll probably only "lurk" and not post.

Hope everyone and their dogs have a good life.

Bye

Radar
Page 13 of 16 « First < 3 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 >