Our sister sites
dori-katie
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

28-11-2008, 10:05 PM

Question reguarding bloat!

On this www.globalspan.net/bloat.htm#Prevention website it says
Do not use an elevated food bowl
I was told it is better for big dogs to have a high food bowl.

Which one is right?
monkeydonkey
Almost a Veteran
Female 

28-11-2008, 10:36 PM
OMG....i don't know the answer to this but my two greyhounds eat from an elevated food bowl so i'd like to know the answer to that too.............
lovezois
Fondly remembered
Female 

28-11-2008, 10:52 PM
There are lots of different opinions on this, but all I can say is in over 25 years in Borzois who like all deep chested dogs have a problem with bloat I have always fed all my borzois from elevated bowls and up to now I have been fortunate that none have had bloat, so I see no reason to change from this.

I use elevated bowle not just because of the bloat but because my boys are so tall that if I feed them with a bowl on the floor they have to either bend far over or else they lie on the floor to eat and i am not happy with the twisted positions they get into. I feel they are more comfortable with the bowls elevated.
dori-katie
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

28-11-2008, 10:58 PM
Thank you Lovezois.
I also think my 2 eating off the floor would be to far down and they are not as tall as yours, not sure about Peat yet as he is only little.
Bigger dogs just look so awkward eating off the floor.
monkeydonkey
Almost a Veteran
Female 

28-11-2008, 11:03 PM
Thanks from me too Lovezois, youv'e made me feel much happier about elevated feeding.
lovezois
Fondly remembered
Female 

28-11-2008, 11:15 PM
You are both welcome.

I don't think its been proved one way or the other , so II can only go an my experience.
Louise13
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

28-11-2008, 11:29 PM
Mine have always eaten from the floor (well not the floor but bowls on the floor!)

I have always been told to feed from the floor
madmare
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

29-11-2008, 06:12 AM
I have always fed from the floor whatever the breed large or small and in 35 years have never had a case of bloat.
I think its just natural to eat from the floor as in the wild they wouldn't have thier food elevated.
I personally believe its best to feed in the way you feel happiest for your dogs and I don't believe either way of feeding helps stop bloat. If a dog is suseptible (sp) its going to happen anyway.
Lynn
Dogsey Veteran
Female  Gold Supporter 

29-11-2008, 07:26 AM
Ollie is fed from elevated bowls, because I feel it is more comfortable for him. His breeder doesn't. When we went to collect Ollie we were talking about all the things you can do to prevent bloat and she said all of them are a good idea and thats all they are a prevention. She too feels if your dog is going to get bloat it will no matter what you try but it doesn't mean you don't try the things that may help stop it. She does most of the other things exercise etc., and has only had one case a long time ago. Some theories are its hereditary.
Vicki
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

29-11-2008, 08:12 AM
I fed my great dane from an elevated food bowl. It's better for the very tall breeds as it eases the pressure on their joints.

Sadly, I lost her to a second bout of bloat.......

Personally, I don't think the two were related.
Page 1 of 2 1 2 >