Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
madmare
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

26-06-2006, 10:42 AM

Titre Test For Lepto For Those Who Want It

Milo my JRT has just had his blood taken to be sent off to see if he needs the lepto jab this year.
I have asked my vets for the name of the lab that does it and its Idexx Laboratories they send it to.
So if any others who titre test want to also test for lepto immunity then you can tell your vets this place does it.
Results should be back within 5-7 days, unless they are like Glasgow that is
Hope it helps some of you who wanted to know.

Bev
Flipper
Dogsey Senior
Female 

26-06-2006, 11:31 AM
Thanks for that info...did you read my mind??, someone I know in US was just asking about lepto this morning ,
I never dealt with it in S. California, rarely ever hear about it in that area.

Do you have any info or good links for the risks from vaccinating for this? Ive heard the side/adverse effects can be bad. Ive found a lot of info on the net but Im a bit picky about just forwarding information from the net unless I know the website has a good reputation and quality information.

Thanks again, I will let her know about the titre testing.
Christine
Dogsey Veteran

27-06-2006, 07:01 AM
Originally Posted by madmare
Milo my JRT has just had his blood taken to be sent off to see if he needs the lepto jab this year.
I have asked my vets for the name of the lab that does it and its Idexx Laboratories they send it to.
So if any others who titre test want to also test for lepto immunity then you can tell your vets this place does it.
Results should be back within 5-7 days, unless they are like Glasgow that is
Hope it helps some of you who wanted to know.

Bev

How much did it cost Bev?

You know still not sure about this one, as the vax is known not to give a particularly long length of immunity, only a year. Unless of cours it does give longer
madmare
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

27-06-2006, 09:09 AM
It cost me £32 in total for the Consultation and blood taking, sending off and lab fee, result interpretation and me going back to get results and have them explained to me.

Obviously as I did not know about the lepto test before I did have my other tests done previously for Parvo, distemper etc to pay seperatly £36.02 but had I had it all done at the same time it would have cost me much less.
My other dog due her first booster next month will have them all tested for on the one visit.

I think with the lepto test I am interested to see if there is immunity after a year as he is now 3-4 months overdue his booster. Still not sure even if it shows no immunity to lepto if I will have the booster done though. My dogs do once a week come to the stables with me and I suppose there are rats in most places we go. Although he only has his walks on an extending lead because the little s*d just runs off. He does have food allegies too. He is causing me a headache as to the best course of action for him.
My other dog I may have boostered for lepto if she shows no immunity when hers are done as she has no food allergies and does go off lead

Bev
Christine
Dogsey Veteran

27-06-2006, 10:30 AM
Price isn`t too bad then M/M

Tough decision, as if its not bad enough he has food allergies as well

I can only wish you good luck whatever you decide to do