View our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
looby
Dogsey Junior

13-05-2004, 09:10 PM

Boxers and Heat

As summer is fast approaching just wondering if you alter your dogs routine to take into account the heat.

As sir is still young he only gets two 20-25 mintue walks, one an early one 6.15-630 am (ish) and usually one after 5pm then he has his tea over an hour later.

When its summer and hot i would class it as still too warm at 5pm, do you then feed first and leave it several hours later before walking?

its not a problem this summer as he will have short walks, just not sure if 20 minutes after 5 when its warm will be too warm for him.

this is providing we do have a summer with warm weather

:smt003
eRaze
Administrator
Male 

13-05-2004, 09:23 PM
I thought it was better to feed first and then go for a walk???
Also, i'd play it by ear as you'll know if hes feeling too hot?
looby
Dogsey Junior

13-05-2004, 09:32 PM
hi azz,

just going on the breeders recommendation of exercise then food, leaving at least an hour between....if we feed first then exercise dry food can take several hours to digest increasing the chance of bloat, just going on what was on the breeders info sheet and bits i've read re bloat.

perhaps i read too much and worry
eRaze
Administrator
Male 

13-05-2004, 09:38 PM
nah your're probably right as Im going on how we used to feed our Dobe some 15 years ago! lol maybe I should do some more research! ops:
Bon
Almost a Veteran

13-05-2004, 11:26 PM
The part of Canada I live in is very cold in the winter and hot and humid in the summer. I completley change our routine as Zoi just can't take it. We get most of our exercise before the sun rises and after it sets during the hotest part of the summer. If it is raining we go walking and to the park then also.
Shadowboxer
Fondly Remembered
Female  Diamond Supporter 

14-05-2004, 01:36 AM
It is necessary to be particularly careful when exercising Boxers during hot weather. As with other brachycephalic breeds the turbinate bones occupy a relatively small area so that hot air drawn through the nose is not cooled as effectively as it would be in the longer muzzled breeds. A good rule of thumb is - if you are feeling hot your Boxer is feeling very hot. If you go on long walks take water with you and have a few breaks in the shade.

Feeding an hour or more after exercise is preferable to feeding an hour or so before.
Carole
Supervisor
Female  Diamond Supporter 

14-05-2004, 07:40 AM
Hi Looby

In the really hot weather last summer, Star went on very few walks, 100yards and she was ready to go home. I changed her routine and only went out at 8 - 9 pm or if I was up early in the morning, which was not that often.

My back garden is concrete slabs and gets no sun, so it is ideal for Star in the summer as she can run about and stay cool.

All year I dont exercise Star 2hours before or after a feed.