Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Pita
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

30-04-2004, 05:16 AM

Dogs and Allergies in Children

Just heard it on the news, the Swiss say that children who live on farms or who own pets are less likely to get allergic based heath problems.

Now wonder how many dogs have been re-homed or PTS because the parents have been told that it is causing the child’s problems - mind you we need to see if the research is accepted.
Roxy
Dogsey Veteran
Female  Diamond Supporter 

30-04-2004, 07:12 AM
Hi Iv rescued two dogs in the past whose previous owners have put them into rescue because their children have developed allergies to their fur. One couple had a 4 year old son who had grown up with the dog and when the child was 4 he had to have kidney transplant and when he came home he developed an allergy to dog fur. At the time I think really they were finding it difficult caring for the dog and a child recovering from a serious illness.
Carole
Supervisor

30-04-2004, 10:32 AM
I always had animals around when I was growing up and now have a dog and cat. I have had my cat for 14 years before the children came along. None of my children have any allegies and are never ill

Houses that are too clean, (to clean to have animals around) with people using all sorts of cleaners, seem to have the most allergy problems. My uncle is a doctor and used to tell us that.
my_boy_sonny
Dogsey Senior
Female 

30-04-2004, 02:10 PM
My little sister is allergic to some animals what would be the best type of dog for her or does it just depend - her guinea pig died and mum is considering getting her a dog
Carole
Supervisor

30-04-2004, 02:12 PM
Whats your sister like with Sonny?
my_boy_sonny
Dogsey Senior
Female 

30-04-2004, 02:15 PM
It depends she has asthma and if its a bad day then she is prone to being wheesy around sonny but most of the time she is fine - she just loves animals and would take great care of a dog - she is the doctor dolittle of the street she knows all the animals and plays with them all
Carole
Supervisor

30-04-2004, 02:24 PM
My OH has asthma and is "supposed" to be allergic to cats, dogs etc. He has not had any problems with animals (and they both sleep in bed beside us) for as long as I have known him.

Poodles I think are good for people with allergies
my_boy_sonny
Dogsey Senior
Female 

30-04-2004, 02:26 PM
My gran had 4 poodles and they can be quite nippy - don't get me wrong I loved them to bits but I don't think my mum would have one
Roxy
Dogsey Veteran

30-04-2004, 03:42 PM
Sam you need to look for dogs that dont moult. They are usually the one that dont cause allergies in my opinion.
snoopy
Dogsey Junior

30-04-2004, 05:27 PM
I suffered quite badly when i was little, with allergies, mainly pet hair.
However over the years i have found that the more time i spend with one animal the better my allergic reaction gets, to it.
For instance, i always had a really bad reaction to cats, but because i've spent a bit of time with my friends cat, when she's been away, i can now stroke him. I still have to wash my hands straight away, and NOT touch my face. Any other cat will be as bad as ever. It's just his hair that i've got used to.
I've also found that the wire haired breeds are good for allergy sufferers, as they don't shed as much as long or smooth coated breeds.
Page 1 of 2 1 2 >