Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
peedie
Almost a Veteran
Female 

01-11-2010, 05:16 PM

Training ideas for 2 dogs at the same time

I have 2 dogs and sometimes like to do 'joint' training sessions. I have done the usual sit, stays, downs, leaves etc. Can anyone inspire me with some new, fun things to do with both dogs at the same time?!
Tarimoor
Dogsey Senior
Female 

01-11-2010, 05:39 PM
A gundog type exercise, would be to get them both steady to having *toys* (I use tennis balls and/or dummies) thrown around them and over them, builidng up from very short to longer distances. You can vary it, once you've got them quite steady, and start to send them on their name for a retrieve, gather all the toys back up and only throw one out. If the other one is likely to move, just loop a lead round their chest and send the one you want.
Wozzy
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

01-11-2010, 05:55 PM
What I do with mine when they have a joint training session is get each dog to stay in position and then command each dog individually to do something. This is so I can control them seperately if needed and they dont just act as a 'pack', plus it also gets them thinking because they have to concentrate on more than just thinking "oh, she's said sit so thats what i'll do" as they have to respond to their name as well as the command (but make sure you say their name first!)

I remember watching Phillipa Williams (Castlemans Golden Retrievers) doing the gundog displays at Crufts. She had a large group of dogs and called some of them out by name to demonstrate a retrieve. The others just sat there stoney still and I was impressed.
Hali
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

01-11-2010, 05:55 PM
Originally Posted by Tarimoor View Post
A gundog type exercise, would be to get them both steady to having *toys* (I use tennis balls and/or dummies) thrown around them and over them, builidng up from very short to longer distances. You can vary it, once you've got them quite steady, and start to send them on their name for a retrieve, gather all the toys back up and only throw one out. If the other one is likely to move, just loop a lead round their chest and send the one you want.
I nearly always play/train mine together - sometimes they have to take it in turns, sometimes they both have to do the same.

Variation on above -when its horrible out and we are playing in doors - I show them each a toy then make them both wait while I go upstairs and hide one toy in each room. I then call them up and direct them into the room their own toy is in. (one of the reasons I do it this way is that they get a bit competitive if they think they are both after the same toy).

you can also take one somewhere and 'hide them' (e.g. behind the settee) and make that stay there - then ask the other one to go and find the first one.

And/or recall one and make the other stay (I find it works better on handsignals - eye contact with the one that has to stay and a 'stop sign' hand, then eye contact with the one who is to come and a beckoning signal).
peedie
Almost a Veteran
Female 

01-11-2010, 07:44 PM
Brilliant, thank you!!!