View our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
vicstick86
Dogsey Junior
Female 

31-08-2010, 09:58 AM

Bitch still swollen after heat is this normal? Please give me advice!

My bitch has finished her heat around a week ago.
Im pretty sure shes finished as she gone from being a flirt to growling and snapping at any male that sniffs her.
I kept her on the lead for the whole of her heat, and theres no way she can be pregnant as she never left my sight.
Her bottoms still really swollen and in addition to this her nipples are large and have swelling behind them.
Is this normal or is a trip to the vets needed?
Thanks in advance for your replies.
ClaireandDaisy
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

31-08-2010, 10:39 AM
I would continue to be careful until other dogs stop taking notice. The fertile period can be at any point during the heat.
thorandamy
Dogsey Junior
Female 

01-09-2010, 05:49 PM
hi, i dont know what breed or size your dog is, but in my experience smaller dogs get teat swelling for a while after a season, not sure about her other bits though
Tarimoor
Dogsey Senior
Female 

01-09-2010, 06:07 PM
If it is her first season, then yes, she could well remain larger looking, the vulva does, in my experience tend to stay a little larger than prior to their very first season. Their nipples can also remain a little larger. As said above, bitches can remain fertile throughout their season, unless you've tested her, you have no way of knowing if this is the case, and bitches can also be a bit Jekyll and Hyde during seasons, they're not all flirty gerties.

To be honest, I don't, and wouldn't take a bitch out when in season anywhere a dog could sniff her. I'm fortunate in that I live in the middle of nowhere. Although there are a lot of public footpaths nearby, not many people use them, so I have the use of a couple of fields I know are free of dogs. BUT, I am extremely careful with my one entire bitch, and make sure she's kept close by, as they can roam further afield, and the scent can carry for long distances.

It's also easy enough to pop your girl in the car and take her to somewhere remote and pretty much unused, if that is an option for you? If it isn't, I really would think twice about taking her out during her season, for her safety and for the safety of other dogs, who will go scatty smelling her scent out and about. She really won't hold it against you missing her normal walks for a few weeks, and there are loads of great training games you can play with her to keep her mentally stimulated.
leadstaffs
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

01-09-2010, 06:23 PM
I would keep a bitch in season away from other males for at least 4 weeks.
She may also be having a phantom pregnancy.