Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
sfridrich
New Member!
Female 

20-06-2017, 07:45 PM

Need help with aggressive dog behavior!

Anyone have any suggestions in how to get Finn (2 year old lab) more comfortable with our new dog? Tracker (1 year old blood hound) is very submissive but Finn still acts like he's a threat. They play fine outside, but Finn gets tense in the house and goes after Tracker when food/treats are around. I've removed toys and we feed them separated. They also sleep in separate kennels where they can't see each other. Will Finn mellow out or do we need to correct the behavior better? I do need to state that we are only in the first week. Also, Finn has never had a dog brought into his home, but he has been taken into other dog's homes and does fine.
Attached Thumbnails (Click to enlarge)
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0262.jpg
Views:	318
Size:	71.6 KB
ID:	5594  
sfridrich
New Member!
Female 

20-06-2017, 08:56 PM
I'd also like to add that my lab is definitely an alpha. My fiancé and I have struggled with this, but he knows my fiancé is the alpha in the house. However, he still tries to test this. You'd think that the hound being submissive would be good but my lab seems to take advantage of it. My lab was also recently neutered.
Besoeker
Dogsey Veteran
Male 

20-06-2017, 09:47 PM
Originally Posted by sfridrich View Post
I'd also like to add that my lab is definitely an alpha. My fiancé and I have struggled with this, but he knows my fiancé is the alpha in the house. However, he still tries to test this. You'd think that the hound being submissive would be good but my lab seems to take advantage of it. My lab was also recently neutered.
Welcome new member.
It's a problem we have wondered about - whether to get a companion for our dog, Max. He gets along beautifully with other dogs, people, and especially children.

I think, like your experience, the food might be an issue. If he picks something outside on our walks he can be a bit gruff if another dog wants to try to get it from him. It is possibly the same with your Finn.

Time may lessen the conflict - Finn is still quite young.
There are some experts here who can probably offer sound advice.
Trouble
Dogsey Veteran
Female  Diamond Supporter 

21-06-2017, 05:48 AM
I don't feed dogs separately as that teaches the dog nothing, I feed them in the same room but stand there between them until they have finished eating. I don't allow them to approach each others bowls until all bowls are empty. Well that's until they learn to get along. I do train my dogs though to sit and wait for their food.
Finn is entitled to feel like the new comer is a threat, he's come into Finn's home and uninvited in Finn's eyes. It's up to you to step in before it kicks off and ensure it doesn't escalate.
Sleeping apart is fine.
Define Alpha? Tests it how?
Things will settle down quicker if you train them, remember dogs are usually on their best behaviour for the first month or so in a new home and being submissive may not last and nor is it an excuse for Finn to bully him.
sfridrich
New Member!
Female 

21-06-2017, 06:01 AM
I guess I don't mean alpha because he knows the humans are alpha. He's just more dominant than the other dog. When he was a pup he's snap at my fiancé and me, and we had to work to correct that. He never does that now, but does try to break the house rules sometime. I was thinking of putting them on leashes and feeding them together to control the situation. Do you think that would work? The hound I took in has no training at all. I'm looking into some training in my area and also am working with him at home. I'm mostly just nervous that they will never get along and I'll have to rehome the hound.
Trouble
Dogsey Veteran

21-06-2017, 07:04 AM
Well tbh you never really know whether or not they'll get along until they do, they may become best buddies or they may just tolerate each other. I just say "my house my rules and I decide who lives here" so they best get along. Sometimes it takes a while but I still have 2 who took months to get along, both terriers but now they get along just fine,it can take persistence.
Besoeker
Dogsey Veteran
Male 

21-06-2017, 10:10 AM
Originally Posted by Trouble View Post
I don't feed dogs separately as that teaches the dog nothing, I feed them in the same room but stand there between them until they have finished eating. I don't allow them to approach each others bowls until all bowls are empty. Well that's until they learn to get along. I do train my dogs though to sit and wait for their food.
Interesting.
I think there is a distinction between training and learning.I had my first dog, also a collie, from when he was a pup just a few weeks old. I think that makes a difference. He was a dawdle and a joy to train to do all sorts of things.

Our current collie is a rescue. He hasn't had formal training or very little. He has matured and learned over the two years we've had him. On the food thing for example he waits without being asked to. He lies on the floor knowing it's being prepared and waits until his bowl is put down and then only when he gets the nod.

Maybe Finn will mature and learn to at least to accept the newcomer.
Trouble
Dogsey Veteran

21-06-2017, 11:05 AM
Oh if only all dogs were like that, when I took on Milan a black Dobermann she'd had 4 previous owners and was picked up walking the streets in North London. She was 8 months old and had been scavenging for food, and shot with an air gun and had a huge mass on her back as a result. She was a resource guarder and would fight with anyone who even looked at her food. She was turned around quite quickly once she learnt food was plentiful and she'd never go hungry. She became a very loving dog with the aid of my other two Dobies, they gave her confidence.
The Terriers on the other hand, well I took on Frankie knowing full well he had aggression issues, it's why he was rehomed. He actually got on very well with the Dobermanns but after a couple of weeks I took on my Sons Staffie puppy at only 13 weeks old when his relationship broke down. I was supposed to have him for a few weeks only, weeks turned into months and he's now been here 9 years. Frankie tried to bully him constantly and was a total p.i.t,a but after about 6 months and several fights they eventually settled down. Frank had to learn his behaviour was unacceptable and would not be tolerated. Diesel as he grew could have done Frank some serious harm but he chose not to.
Then in late December last year I took on a male Pug being rehomed due to his aggression to all other male dogs. Yeah I know I already have 3 male dogs so what was I thinking. Well he'd been rehomed and returned 3 times before I took him on at 9 months. Being an only dog wasn't really the answer as he'd go for all male dogs apparently. So he came here, seemed to not notice Frank or Teddy were males which was odd as Teddy is entire but he took an instant dislike to Diesel my Staffie. Diesel is a star, never reacts to other dogs, at worst he might warn them off. I persevered and within a matter of days they were getting along fine. Dexy does still have his mad moments when the red mist descends but he backs off when told and is mostly a friendly dog who wants to play and Diesel gets between him and other dogs until Dex sees sense. It's rare these days that Dexy kicks off but Diesel is a great diffuser.
sfridrich
New Member!
Female 

21-06-2017, 03:07 PM
Thank you everyone for all of the experience. It makes me feel better. My lab Finn I think has just gotten used to the luxurious only dog child life at home. He loves other dogs and is very social, but has never really had another dog in his home. He's a smart dog so I hope he will adapt. Tracker, the bloodhound, definitely needs lots of training. His whole first year of life was spent on a 30 foot leash (that's why I jumped to take him in), which isn't fair. He's so sweet and is trying to be finn's friend, I think he just doesn't really understand personal space. We're about to start day 3 so we'll see how it goes. If anyone has more advice please share!
Besoeker
Dogsey Veteran
Male 

21-06-2017, 03:44 PM
Originally Posted by sfridrich View Post
Thank you everyone for all of the experience. It makes me feel better. My lab Finn I think has just gotten used to the luxurious only dog child life at home. He loves other dogs and is very social, but has never really had another dog in his home. He's a smart dog so I hope he will adapt. Tracker, the bloodhound, definitely needs lots of training. His whole first year of life was spent on a 30 foot leash (that's why I jumped to take him in), which isn't fair. He's so sweet and is trying to be finn's friend, I think he just doesn't really understand personal space. We're about to start day 3 so we'll see how it goes. If anyone has more advice please share!
Three dayss is not long.
Keep us updated with progress?
Page 1 of 2 1 2 >