Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Tania
Dogsey Senior
Female 

23-10-2010, 07:00 PM

Could this be diabetes?

My 12.5 yr old lab x is drinking huge amounts of water and peeing all the time, even in the house which he never did before. He has also lost some weight.

The thing making me think that it isn't diabetes is that he is not lethargic at all - in fact the opposite, he seems very hyper and seems to get anxious about things he didn't before, including being left - I could leave him and he would be fine, now he's ripping apart walls and wood - I wondered if it is because he is panicking about having a pee and trying to get to the outdoors.

If anyone knows about diabetes - or other possible causes of the above symptoms - it would be good to hear.
Rookgeordiegirl
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

23-10-2010, 07:05 PM
Honestly I think this calls for a vet trip along with a urine samle ,it could be one of many things

goodluck
Helena54
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

23-10-2010, 07:13 PM
I agree, could even be cushings, you need to get a sample into the vet and possibly let them do a blood test, it's the only way to know for sure, and good luck.
Emma
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

24-10-2010, 03:13 AM
Originally Posted by Helena54 View Post
I agree, could even be cushings, you need to get a sample into the vet and possibly let them do a blood test, it's the only way to know for sure, and good luck.
was thinking the same thing, a lot of endocrine diseases can present with those symptoms, and can affect their behaviour, defo need a trip to the vet and for some tests to be run xxxx
zoe1969
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

24-10-2010, 10:36 AM
You do need to get your dog to the vet asap. It could be a few things. It isn't normal to do this but if you get vet advice sooner rather than later then whatever it is could be controlled.
Good luck xxxx
Tania
Dogsey Senior
Female 

25-10-2010, 02:16 PM
Thanks for the advice, will be going to the vet on Wednesday as I am away from home until then.
Helena54
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

25-10-2010, 04:00 PM
Well done, and don't forget to take a wee sample with you, they can check it there and then for you, it could be something as simple as a bladder infection, they can wreak havoc sometimes! Good luck on Wednesday and please let us know if you get the time.
Tania
Dogsey Senior
Female 

27-10-2010, 05:27 PM
Took Charlie to the vets today, and it is cancer.

We are in a bit of shock at the moment as you can imagine. After discussing it with the vet, we are letting nature take its course and are going to spoil him rotten. The vet says he's not in pain and seems very happy and is in good condition otherwise. When that changes, we'll have to make the hard decision to PTS, but only when he is ready.
zoe1969
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

27-10-2010, 09:56 PM
Oh no.....I'm so very very sorry My heart bleeds for you. You must be devastated. Thinking of you hun xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
Emma
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

27-10-2010, 11:22 PM
I am so sorry to hear that news, love him and spoil him xxxx
Page 1 of 2 1 2 >