Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
storm2978
New Member!
Female 

04-11-2017, 12:42 AM

8 week old puppy has explosive diarrhea

My fiance just bought me a 8 week old puppy for my birthday. The people he got him from did not give her the food they were feeding her so we have been feeding her one of our other dogs' food. She also has been going over to my fiance's mom's dog's food bowl (we're visiting) and his mom gave her fried chicken skin and a french fry last night. This morning she had explosive diarrhea, however, has been acting like her normal self and has been drinking water. They don't have an emergency vet near where we are and none of the local vets will be open tomorrow. I'm thinking that it's possibly a combination of changing food and what his mom has been feeding her and stress of being in a new environment, but thought I would ask for some other opinions.
Gnasher
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

04-11-2017, 10:39 AM
Firstly, very bad of breeder not to hand over some of his food with full details of make and type etc.

Secondly, fried ckicken and a chip is not a good idea at all ... your pup is primarily a carnivore; human junk food high in fat and carbohydrate is the worst thing to give him.

Thirdly, chicken would have been better fed raw not fried. At 8 weeks you may want to consider introducing the BARF diet . Raw meat, bones and pureed raw veg. Google it . .. plenty of info about it.

Fourthly and most importantly you need to get hold of the puppy food he was fed on immediately and try and get him back on to it and hopefully his guts will return to normal. It may not work in which case you will need to take him asap to a vet where most likely he will be needed to be treated with antibiotics which will kill all the natural flora and fauna in his gut ... both good and bad .
. and then gradually feed him appropriately to restore the good flora and fauna to his gut.

Im typing this on my mobile so apologies for typos and broadbased advice . . Signal v flakey!
Chris
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

04-11-2017, 11:44 AM
It's probably the chicken skin that has caused the problem. Chicken is usually fine (unless there is an intolerance to it), but the skin is always a no-no. Similarly with turkey by the way.

Keep his diet bland today and keep a close eye on him. If he firms back up, then fine, but, if not, seek veterinary help. Never leave it more than a day with a young put before seeking help.

The change in food won't be helping, but there's not a lot you can do about it. The good news is that your pup should settle on the new food fairly quickly
tumbleweed
Dogsey Veteran
Male 

04-11-2017, 05:20 PM
I do have to wonder how much research is done before getting a puppy. Seems to me very little and it is a pity some sort of qualification should be attained before getting any very young animal, or any animal for the first time.
The number of times that arise on here seeking basic knowledge on getting a first pet and how to look after it absolutely amazes me.
Gnasher
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

04-11-2017, 06:09 PM
I have never heard of chicken skin causing problems! I have fed raw chicken wings for many years to multiple dogs with no problems and my daughter's chihuahuas love chicken wings.
Chris
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

04-11-2017, 08:49 PM
I believe it is because the skin holds more fat. It's just one of those things you know, but don't know how you know (if that makes sense).

I think it was a vet that brought it up when I took one of my previous dogs after a bout of the squits. From there I don't know if I researched it more or if it came up regularly on forums, but I wouldn't risk it again (even if my present girl wasn't allergic to chicken)
Gnasher
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

05-11-2017, 09:18 AM
Fair do's Chris ... I shall continue feeding skin on raw chicken although to be fair it isnt very often we can get hold of them now which is a shame. Old Ben is 12 now and although very fit wont live for ever and next time our dog will be a puppy and will be raw fed right from weaning by the breeder so we will be able to test your theory. Ben is still bouncing thankfully
Bulldogs4Life
Dogsey Senior
Female 

05-11-2017, 01:03 PM
Greasy foods can cause diarrhea and too much fat could cause pancreatitis, but that's something the dog is predisposed to. I've weaned puppies to raw without any issue. It's likely the puppies system can't handle all the different foods in such a short order.
Gnasher
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

06-11-2017, 08:03 AM
As with any food, when weaning to raw it is better to start gently I would think, not kick off with different meats and veg. That's why personally when I have my next pup he will be started off on a chicken wing ... wonderful for those sharp little needle teeth and gets him used to chewing.