Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Jackie
Dogsey Veteran
Female  Diamond Supporter 

24-08-2010, 01:22 PM
Originally Posted by chaz View Post
There was a photo in a magazine of a pekingnese at crufts who was laid on blocks that contained ice with a fan on it to is that fit for life? It was at crufts so in theory shouldn't be badly bred there are problems associated with dogs that can't be seen in a ring but might be more apparent asking the dog to do something else, if people are being told by the kc the dogs are 'fit for function, fit for life' it should be proved, not just said, otherwise its all talk and no trousers imo i'm afraid, if dogs can't do things for certain reasons then they should imo be health tested the judge know the results and use them to judge the dogs too.

Also going for walks with the owner is all well and good, but at dog shows the judge cant see the dog walk for a long time each day, they have to go on what they see, they may see a dog in better condition, but they can't neccasary see the dogs activity level.
I was at a show in early summer (when we had a heat wave) saw plenty of pekingese in one form or another beign kept cool, even saw great Danes sitting on wet towels, and Newfoundlands being drenched in water and wet towels... because it is being kept cool, does not make it unfit

So what you are saying is , that a dog that looks well and fit , trots up well, is not carrying any excess weight and looks in the picture of health. needs to be put through a strenuous exercise routine to prove it is fit for life

What do you mean the judge needs to see the dogs activity level, ???

A pug that can walk happily with an owner, go to a show and perform in the ring, does not need to be run in a marathon to prove its fitness for function???

A badly put together dog will show any signs of it in the ring, it does not have to jump round an agility ring to prove it.

The KC, IS putting its money where its mouth is, but it takes time, what do you want them to do, insist every show dog is capable of running round an agility ring!!

P.S, did you look at the links to the ACS, rather puts to bed the theory that they cant work, as you thought!!
Borderdawn
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

24-08-2010, 01:39 PM
Originally Posted by Ripsnorterthe2nd View Post
I'm saying a dog with excessive, not decent (which is defined as meeting accepted standards; adequate), feathering will be hindered in thick cover by this feathering thereby preventing it from doing it's job properly.

Here's a dictionary definition of moderate:

Being within reasonable limits; not excessive or extreme

Now, are you seriously trying to tell me that the second picture I posted is neither excessive nor extreme when breeding a dog to go through thick cover to flush game?

Oh I looked at the links Dawn and I commented on them, they're the same links you use everytime this debate arises. As I said, the Springer was bred to be hunter first and foremost, retrieving has come in very late in the breeds history. Yes these dogs can retrieve, but that is not their original purpose - which is to find and flush game.

There are many show kennels that truly work their Springers beating, but they have to trim a lot of the feathering away to enable the dog to do this. I don't assume, I know. To me this is entirely incorrect - the dogs should be bred with the correct "moderate" feathering in the first place. The "moderate" feathering which is clearly asked for in the breed standard!!!! I'm not having a go at those that do work their Show Springers in the field, but it's about time show people pulled their heads out of the sand and stopped breeding dogs to be flashy and go back to breeding to the breed standard, not to fashionable extremes.
What rubbish, you seem really jealous or something Rips, Im not sure why? There is nothing wrong with the feathering in the pictures of the SHOW dogs WORKING, is there? They ARE doing their job. its many of the working Spaniels that have deformed legs, barrel chests and very little feathering at all, is that correct? They have been bred deformed, how "correct" and moderate is that?
Tassle
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

24-08-2010, 01:42 PM
Originally Posted by DevilDogz View Post
Yes all dogs should be health tested, and that should go on the over all look of the dog.. But show dogs are judged against the breed standard, which may I add states nothing what so ever about working the dogs, or the working history of a breed.

Just the same as when you are judging a working dog, you dont care about it being as close to the breed standard as possible, you just want a good little worker.
Humm interesting argument.

Do you think the working ability should be placed in the breed standards (where possible)?

I do feel that possible fitness tests should be devised for some breeds where it is either not possible or feasible for them to have working tests.

Not being funny, but any judge, well any person althogether can tell if a dog is fit or not.....Also some breeds have low active levels, and some dogs of certain breeds will have lower active levels than others in the breed doesnt mean their not fit and healthy or a good example of the breed in all areas.
Do you really think that? I meet many people with overweight dogs, unfit dogs etc and they do not seem to be able to see it.
As to Judges.....I do not think they are always looking for the dog most fitting to the breed standard.....either that or they are looking through rose tinted glasses.
Borderdawn
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

24-08-2010, 01:47 PM
Originally Posted by Tassle View Post
Do you really think that? I meet many people with overweight dogs, unfit dogs etc and they do not seem to be able to see it.
As to Judges.....I do not think they are always looking for the dog most fitting to the breed standard.....either that or they are looking through rose tinted glasses.
Do you? How long have you exhibited for and at what level?
Borderdawn
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

24-08-2010, 01:48 PM
Originally Posted by DevilDogz View Post
Yes all dogs should be health tested, and that should go on the over all look of the dog.. But show dogs are judged against the breed standard, which may I add states nothing what so ever about working the dogs, or the working history of a breed.

Just the same as when you are judging a working dog, you dont care about it being as close to the breed standard as possible, you just want a good little worker.

Yep I saw that picture.. I also saw one on the same page of a Chinese Crested with a rash being covered over with talc... and clearly the owner had shaved the dog so hard that its skin had gone red raw These pictures ayy.. tell some 'intresting' stories.. and werent even taken at crufts just used for the crufts article.

Not being funny, but any judge, well any person althogether can tell if a dog is fit or not.....Also some breeds have low active levels, and some dogs of certain breeds will have lower active levels than others in the breed doesnt mean their not fit and healthy or a good example of the breed in all areas.
Actually the first line of the Border Terrier breed standard is:

"Essentially a Working Terrier"

"Spanning" a Border and other Terriers is essential to them being able to work properly, its a vital part of the standard.
chaz
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

24-08-2010, 01:50 PM
Working and showing should imo tie together, there are plenty of daul purpose dogs to show this works and imo a dog is in no particular order conformation, health, temperment and working ability, and should be judged as a package, as the breeds roots are important, their meant to look the part, so imo be able to act it the dogs that win are also meant to be the best dogs there, but that only seems to be on conframation, something a club has decided, and in some cases can cause health problems because of certain traits have become excessive, doesnt happen with every breed or even every breeder in that breed but it happens, and it shouldn't of done. Also the mag may of taken and shown the pics may of edited the cc, I'm not sure, but they are not the ones who did this to the dogs, the breeders and showers are.
DevilDogz
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

24-08-2010, 01:51 PM
Originally Posted by Tassle View Post
Humm interesting argument.

Do you think the working ability should be placed in the breed standards (where possible)?

I do feel that possible fitness tests should be devised for some breeds where it is either not possible or feasible for them to have working tests.

Not sure I do tbh.. The working ability doesnt have anything to do with it. The standard set of course should have the dog structured in a way it could work for what it was bred for, but I dont think a dog should have to prove its self in that area.
what happens if you have a dog that perfect in all ways, but hates the working side of things..You cant show it, because it hasnt proved it self? Many people do not work their dogs anymore, so what are the actuall benefits of dogs proving themselves? Just to prove that they are fit?

Yes I do.. anyone educated enough in dogs to be a judge should be able to tell a fit dog from another, I have never seen a dog placed at a show that has been severly over weight, couldnt walk ect. I showed Lyric at the club show and the judge said to me she wasnt placing me any higher because Lyric was to fat - she was correct Lyric is slightly over weight and still carrying boobs from her phantom. I wasted my time going, but we had fun.
Many pet people will see their dogs as being perfect in every way and wont accept they may be to fat and the like, but like I said I would have thought anyone to be educated in dogs let it be showing, working or competing in other areas would be able to tell a unfit dog from a well balanced fit and healthy one.
DevilDogz
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

24-08-2010, 01:54 PM
Originally Posted by chaz View Post
Also the mag may of taken and shown the pics may of edited the cc, I'm not sure, but they are not the ones who did this to the dogs, the breeders and showers are.
Maybe they did.. but hey got everyone talking huh? not sure what you mean by that bit Chaz, the breeders and showers did what
Tassle
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

24-08-2010, 01:54 PM
Originally Posted by Borderdawn View Post
Do you? How long have you exhibited for and at what level?
I have met many people (as I stated) who have dogs I would consider unfit and/or overweight - and they cannot see it.

As to competing - I have 1 purebred dog who is 3 - she has been shown a couple of times in open shows locally. That is my personal experience.

I have, however, been to multiple shows (including Crufts) and been lucky enough to be with people who show to championship level and have been doing it a very long time. I value their opinions and have been quite startled when they have pointed out to me obvious faults on the dogs that have been put up over others.

However - I was responding the the fact the DD said any person (not specifically a judge) can tell if a dog is unfit.
DevilDogz
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

24-08-2010, 01:56 PM
Originally Posted by Borderdawn View Post
Actually the first line of the Border Terrier breed standard is:

"Essentially a Working Terrier"

"Spanning" a Border and other Terriers is essential to them being able to work properly, its a vital part of the standard.
ahh thats brill - My bad.. I havent seen any standard before that mentions working side of things Mind you I havent looked through many
Page 8 of 35 « First < 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 18 > Last »