View our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
weestumpy
Dogsey Junior
Male 

22-05-2008, 07:48 AM
I find it hard to believe that you really thinks its good that Duke was reprieved, reading over your earlier statements leads me to believe this

I beleive in deed not breed, but i also belive in keeping within the law. The only problem i have with the whole lot is that mugford is willing to lie to the courts. He also says there is a breed called an irish staff, crap. again having looked at one of your local papers on line where a staff judge of 44 years gave evindence only a few weeks ago and i contacted the paper about the case, they tell me it was not in Ballymena but in Ballymoney,is that near Ballymena, anyway. He is was the only person in NI to breed a winning staff at crufts and clearly states there is no such breed as an irish staff.He was for the defence, apparently mugford would not defend this person because he is in jail for some offences, so what, has his dog done anything wrong,not according to the reporter.

I will admit that is the past i hated pit bulls as i seen what they did to another dog, but are we all perfect? My opinion has changed about the breed but that still does not take away the fact they are illegal in the UK.

Was mugford ever wrong? yes, he helped bring in the banning in 1991. He helped kenneth Baker MP bring in the DDA Leglisation, why has he changed his mind, because he was wrong about it. Thats fair enough that he is willing to put his hands up and say i was wrong, the same way i say i was wrong about the breed, but he is willing to lie to make money. a famous quote from Mugford in the Hanns debate in the houses of commons in London "all pit bulls go bad, its just a count down from when they reach 6 month of age" .
He is full of it. One thing my late father told me, you can always keep an eye on a theif but you can never trust a liar.
snoops
New Member!
Male 

22-05-2008, 09:28 AM
yeah i have that paper where he stated there is no such recognized breed but there are traditional staffs in n.ireland who are slighter taller than their counterparts across the water and they are being seized and destroyed, ok there not registered staffs but they are still there. any dog seized and destroyed based on looks or similarities to pbs is wrong an a huge injustice to both owner and dog, did u ever see tiny the am bull who was destroyed, he was a fifty kilo dog n fell foul off this dreadful law as being type. the stafford judge clearly stated the dog from ballymoney area was not a apbt type but yet again lovely dog destroyed, i do remember reading however the owner had convictions for animal cruelty in the past so this may be the reason he wasnt defended, im not sure of that now, just read sumthing in the local paper about convictions for cruelty.
I heap praise on ballymena dog warden for speaking up against this legislation, i admit i didn't like the guy in the past when he ran the first pitbull amnesty in the uk and a lot of good dogs wit responsible owners suffered as a result without a true expert having looked at them but he seems to have changed his outlook on dda n i applaud him for that, i hope other councils follow there lead, for anything to change tho the public need to be writing to the minister expressing there views. the standard adba standard should be used as otherwise any well muscled smooth coated dog wit high set ears n low set tail etc could be seized/destroyed, i have a tick list that some councils use when deciding a dogs conformity to apbti cud post that for u if u like?? Mugford is not a liar, he just takes more than a glance as to decide a dogs breed or type, he is thorough in his examinations n i applaud him for that also
weestumpy
Dogsey Junior
Male 

22-05-2008, 07:16 PM
I have to agree with you about the warden. I spoke to him today by phone regarding the issue of pit bulls. I asked him about the amnesty he held and how it came about. I personally thought it came about because of the Ellie Lawrence death but he has told me that he had done research some month before the death of this poor girl and even put it to the councillors in November but it was decided not to start it until the New Year. It was a terrible that Ellie was killed on the eve of the amnesty. He said all dogs that were handed over were not automatically destroyed; every dog was inspected by an independent vet and even in some cases where some dogs were returned to their owners the following day. He said it was a shock for them to see him walking down there path with the dog, but as he said to see the joy on there faces when being told here is your dog back its not an illegal breed is one of the best parts of his job. Even when people went to hand over a dog he refused to take the dog as in his opinion it was not a pit bull, he said where there is any doubt, the benefit of doubt it must be given to the dog. I asked him more about his proposals he put to the government and what proposals he put forward. He told me them and said if anyone wants a copy of them to email him at the council and he is more than happy to let people have a copy of it. What he has purposed is basic common sense that is easy to control. He has said that at every opportunity he will speak out about the leglisation even when prosecuting someone. He said to me after the recent case the press were wanting comments from him, they expected him to come out with something like this will teach someone to keep illegal dogs but they got the opposite, he publicly spoke out about the leglisation even when giving evidence in a recent pit bull case, he told the magistrate the, leglisation is wrong. His hands are tied but he has to enforce it until it changes. I asked does he use a check list on checking if the dog is a pit bull type. He said he uses a few. One issued by the RSPCA, One issued by DEFRA, One issued by the Home Office and a more important one, one that was used in the identification of the pit bull that killed Ellie Lawrence. He got it from the investigating officer when asked to give advice to Mersey side police on an amnesty. I said to him if every other warden would do what he is doing it might help save innocent dogs. He agreed and said a lot of warden’s throughout NI have contacted him and he is willing to help them and has in the past been asked to look at dogs for other councils. Again he said any doubt, must be given to the dog. You’re lucky you have such a warden within your area, ours is crap. Does not want to do anything. As for Roger Mugford I think this is one issue that we can’t agree on but, hey lets not worry about it, can’t agree on everything. Funny enough I asked him about him and he just said he has his opinion but it’s not up to him to judge him its up to the courts but more important his evidence. He will respect the will of the courts.
jackie haines
New Member!
Female 

27-04-2010, 10:24 AM
Hi, just found you, I am always interested in the news and views of fellow dog owners, hope to be 'looking in' often. I have a gorgeous Deerhound x Lurcher, had him since he was a7 week old baby (sorry...PUPPY !! ) he is 11 on the 15th Oct, and I hope to have him for a long timeto come.
Page 9 of 9 « First < 6 7 8 9