Our sister sites
Our sister sites
pippam
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

19-12-2011, 08:48 PM
Originally Posted by MerlinsMum View Post
They certainly can!
A lot of digestion is down to certain bacteria in the gut which are able to break down the food. Believe it or not, it is only recently that we discovered the bacteria are the primary factor for digestion.

When you give an animal or human a new food, it can cause an upset IF they don't have the right kind of bacteria in place to digest it.... So with a new food you might see the runs at first go - but if you continued to feed the new food in very small amounts, you will eventually see a change.

Case in point - my mum & dad fed their dogs on kibble or canned food from 1968 to when mum's old girl died aged 15 in 2008. If they ever gave their dogs leftover chicken or turkey, the dog/s would get the runs, so mum & dad said it was "too rich" for them. The truth is that because they had never had that food item on a regular basis, they had no way of dealing with it.

I now live with my elderly mum, and my dog - who has been given all kinds of different foods throughout his life and is now completely raw fed - and she still gets worried when I give him something 'odd' to eat such as a segment of tangerine, a piece of raw fennel bulb, half a raw Brussels sprout that falls on the floor. So sorry to disappoint you mum, but he's not had a squitty bottom for 2 years.... and that was down to stress at the time

Whoever said variety is the spice of life was right; and the wider variety of foods your dog samples, builds his digestive system up to full speed and also - I believe - his immune system as well, since he is not going to be knocked down by eating something 'funny' and he has the full complement of helpful bacteria all ready and waiting to deal with whatever he takes on board
That would explain Millies reaction to white rice as I gave her white rice instead of basmatti and she had an allergic reaction last week.
marley123
Dogsey Senior
Male 

22-12-2011, 10:16 PM
my dogs like green tomatos !!!
give them ripe ones and they get spat out and the dogs will go and get some green ones of the plants
tiggers mum
Dogsey Senior
Female 

07-01-2012, 01:50 PM
My V steals the runner beans off the runner bean plants in the summer!! How weird is that? and he also steals the very ripe tomatoes off the plants in the greenhouse if I dont get there first! He also loves ripe bananas (wont eat a green one) and apples. My collie wont eat anything other than fish4dogs in her bowl and her training stars or fish skins....give her anything else and she buries it in the garden!
Polarbear2008
Dogsey Senior
Female 

12-05-2012, 10:02 PM
I gave my old doggie strawberries and her eyebrows swelled up. We quickly discovered they didn't agree with her on the second time when her eyebrows swelled up again! We decided it best she didn't have any more. My new little girl loves carrot; I'm not sure she's had strawberries yet.... I'll let her try them this summer
Polarbear2008
Dogsey Senior
Female 

29-05-2012, 09:38 PM
I tried Bailiie with strawberries on Sunday - she turned her nose up and left it
I guess that answers that then! She doesnt like them!!
Ben Mcfuzzylugs
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

29-05-2012, 10:20 PM
I tried my two with strawberries the other year

and ennded up getting the fright of my life - Ben had red all over his fur - thought he had hurt himself

Nope, my dogs decided strawberries are yucky to eat but great fun to chuck about and roll in
They did smell lovely
LoobyLou663
Dogsey Junior
Female 

30-05-2012, 08:59 PM
Thank you for the info, getting so many notes on here im glad i joined this forum
KennyUK
Dogsey Senior
Male 

26-03-2015, 01:59 AM
Just found this thread

My dog loves strawberrys and I've had to fence my strawberry beds off as he would eat them all the ******.

As for the apple pips, yes you are not meant to give them to a dog, same with pears (mine loves pears too), and you can also give orange segments but make sure you take the white pith and skin off and NO orange pips.
lovemybull
Dogsey Senior
Female 

26-03-2015, 04:34 AM
That is something I never tried. I know fresh apple slices make Callie drool applesauce, no, I haven't tried strawberries. Fresh apple smeared with peanut butter and he might lose his mind...
Meg
Supervisor
Female  Diamond Supporter 

26-03-2015, 08:42 AM
I grow strawberries in tubs and Chloe steals them
Page 3 of 4 < 1 2 3 4 >