Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
dori-katie
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

01-08-2007, 07:46 PM
Originally Posted by Lottie View Post
Sorry Luke I replied while you were replying!

I wouldn't like to give too much of my opinion on that because T can be similar but I did have her spayed - not for a miracle cure, more to settle her down for further training as well as making sure she didn't produce offspring with the same traits.

Good luck in whatever you decide.
I forgot Lottie reading your post, Dori has been spayed to and she has calmed down a lot to.
Luz
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

01-08-2007, 07:47 PM
It may be hormones Luke.
scorpio
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

01-08-2007, 07:57 PM
Originally Posted by Luke View Post
Im still quite in shock and it happened about twenty minutes ago..
We've had lots of people round for a bbq today and the dogs have just been a roaming around chilled today etc etc.
Well..all I did was tell Ralph 'No OFF' when he climbed up to get some chicken off the side..he didn't listen to i went to hold him by his collar and he just 'snapped', literally Really snarly/growly fit at me and if i hadnt moved my arm quickly i really worry what would of happened..
Shock?
Doesn't cut it.
The most loving, laid back, sweet dog in the world usually..but those eyes really weren't like Ralph, it was as if something inside of him totally snapped apart.
I'm so...I really don't know.
Was it a one off thing? Was it due to the heat? What am i meant to do exactly?

Oh Luke, you should read my thread I've just posted, I've got a similar thing going on here with my stupid soppy setters, I've never known anything like it and its really upset me. I do hope its a weather thing rather than anything else xx
Lucky Star
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

01-08-2007, 08:12 PM
It could be the adolescent thing, where they start to challenge things. Once any medical conditions are ruled out you could try upping/reinforcing the training, even if you've already covered much of the ground before.
GSD-Sue
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

01-08-2007, 08:51 PM
Sounds like a combination of things, heat, testosterone, age & an event which would wind up most dogs, but if he is starting to test you to see how far he can go you must be consistant & make sure he knows his bounderies. One thing are you sure he knew who was pulling him away? Have known dogs who were so fixated on something while other dogs were around they did not at first realise who was holding & restraining them or even whether it had two or four legs.
Fudgeley
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

01-08-2007, 09:33 PM
Luke we went through something similar recently and we went right back to basics to training to re-inforce Fudge`s boundaries. Touch wood we have not had anything since.I will dig out the thread for you.
Hali
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

02-08-2007, 06:59 AM
Originally Posted by GSD-Sue View Post
One thing are you sure he knew who was pulling him away? Have known dogs who were so fixated on something while other dogs were around they did not at first realise who was holding & restraining them or even whether it had two or four legs.
That's exactly what I was going to ask -I've seen this too - did he stop as soon as he realised that it was you?
Hali
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

02-08-2007, 07:30 AM
Originally Posted by scorpio View Post
Oh Luke, you should read my thread I've just posted, I've got a similar thing going on here with my stupid soppy setters, I've never known anything like it and its really upset me. I do hope its a weather thing rather than anything else xx
Am I being thick Scorpio - I can't find the thread you are talking about?
Colin
Dogsey Veteran
Male 

02-08-2007, 07:56 AM
Onyx was eighteen months old when we had him castrated as he was started to get to big for his boots.

He tried to challenge me with his snarling and growling a couple of times and I just put him back in his place by shouting at him to sit, but it scared Michelle half to death, so he had to become nutless, now he is now 27 months old and is good as gold.

I really believe that it's a combination of his testosterone levels, the heat and excitement of the day, band of course the smell of all that chicken.

If you decide not to have him done, then I suggest that you separate him from any future BBQ's and just keep him in doors and away from your guest.
Moobli
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

02-08-2007, 09:20 AM
Originally Posted by Lucky Star View Post
It could be the adolescent thing, where they start to challenge things. Once any medical conditions are ruled out you could try upping/reinforcing the training, even if you've already covered much of the ground before.

This is what I would suggest. It sounds to me as though Ralph was showing a bit of food possession and being a bit too big for his boots. One of my collies, Moss, growled and snapped at me when he was around 9-10 months old, as he had a dead rabbit in his mouth that he really didn't want to give up. I forced his jaws apart and stuck him back on the lead and took him home. I then hand-fed him for a few days just to make him realise that his food comes from me.

Neutering Ralph is only a decision you can make, as it is a very personal thing.
Page 2 of 6 < 1 2 3 4 5 > Last »