Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
MistyBlue
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

11-08-2007, 12:20 PM

what the maxium time to train a pup?

if you get your pup at 7/8 weeks say, do you start training him right away? like small commands sit/down etc

or do you leave it a few weeks? what age do you generally start & how long for 15/20 mins? once twice a day?

Thanks!
elmac13
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

11-08-2007, 12:52 PM
Yes I would start straight away and see how you get on...it will become quite obvious if he's not really ready! I would only do it for a short time at first as his attention span won't be very long. 5 mins max probably. Maybe twice a day? Have fun!
britishbandit
Dogsey Junior
Female 

11-08-2007, 12:54 PM
I start training my pups from the day the come home. It's never too early! LOL

I usually keep the sessions short, 5-10 minutes maximum while they are young though. And I stop if things just aren't going well and try again later. It's hard to keep a pup focused for long, and if you continue to push at it, he/she as well as you will just become frustrated.
MistyBlue
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

11-08-2007, 01:15 PM
hiya thanks, yes i thought that, they will prob be distracted with a new home etc and want to play more than listen to me!!

ill go for 5 mins 2 times a day i think & work my way up from there!

Fudgeley
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

11-08-2007, 01:16 PM
Good luck and have fun, lots of treats and praise and he/she will think they are playing. I`m sooooo jealous. love that puppy training.
MistyBlue
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

11-08-2007, 01:50 PM
Originally Posted by Fudgeley View Post
Good luck and have fun, lots of treats and praise and he/she will think they are playing. I`m sooooo jealous. love that puppy training.
lol awww! this will be my first time!! so nervous & excited, although it isnt until next year! just hope ill be able to do it right, ive read so many books & asked questions, but until the pup is in front of you!!! dont dont really know do you?!
Katie23
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

11-08-2007, 02:03 PM
i started training with millie literlaly from day one

she got the sit command well at 6 weeks! i got her at 5 weeks and 5 days - young i know but she needed to come home with me - long story - shes now 9 months old and training every day now and again - several times a day - little things like - gimme a paw - sit - down - go in the garden and play etc!

all through play - especially on walks - recalls all the time - training again

i dont think imo you can start too young - its abonding thing as well - millies my shadow now - whenever i tunrn round shes there lol!
Meg
Supervisor
Female  Diamond Supporter 

11-08-2007, 02:22 PM
I always start training straight away

I have now had Millie for one week and she is doing really well. I think the things to remember are ;
..never try to train a puppy when it is tired, the best time is after a sleep,
..keep the sessions very short just a couple of minutes at a time and make it fun,
..finish on a good note

I look up on it not so much as 'training sessions', more teaching the puppy useful things at every opportunity throughout the day as part of everyday life

PS it is better not to see it in terms of 'the maximum time to train a puppy' .
All puppies learn at a different rate and the most important thing is that the puppy enjoys learning and is at ease with the things it has learnt.
DanishPastry
Dogsey Senior
Female 

11-08-2007, 03:35 PM
Good post by Minihaha. especially to not look at it as training, but more as teaching useful skills, I like that wording. This also means you can do it through out the day, and not just stick to once or twice.
Always have treats and toys at the ready, to teach helpful swap commands, for when puppy is getting up to trouble! :smt002
MistyBlue
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

11-08-2007, 06:26 PM
Originally Posted by Minihaha View Post
PS it is better not to see it in terms of 'the maximum time to train a puppy' .
All puppies learn at a different rate and the most important thing is that the puppy enjoys learning and is at ease with the things it has learnt.
thanks! oh no no!!! i didnt mean it like that! i just meant hoiw long bedfore they lwiould look at me and say 'im bored! or lets play & do something else sort of thing!! wouldnt want to make it boring, more like fun, but learning at the same time!!

thanks excellent tips!!!!