Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
esmed
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

18-07-2011, 07:37 PM

Learning to Swim

Basically I can't swim and have a bit of a fear about being in the water and not being able to put my feet down or grab onto something or my head going under the water.

Whenever we go on holiday I know my OH is always a bit disappointed that I don't swim as i know he'd love for me to join him for a swim or go snorkelling with him. We're off to the Maldives for our honeymoon this year and i'd love to surprise him by learning to swim but i'm not sure if I can get over my fear to even take lessons.

When we went to Barbados he got me to put a life jacket on and try to get in the sea to see the turtles that everyone else was swimming with but I just couldn't do it.

Has anyone else been through this and overcome it and if so how did you do it?
smokeybear
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

18-07-2011, 07:42 PM
Originally Posted by esmed View Post
Basically I can't swim and have a bit of a fear about being in the water and not being able to put my feet down or grab onto something or my head going under the water.

Whenever we go on holiday I know my OH is always a bit disappointed that I don't swim as i know he'd love for me to join him for a swim or go snorkelling with him. We're off to the Maldives for our honeymoon this year and i'd love to surprise him by learning to swim but i'm not sure if I can get over my fear to even take lessons.

When we went to Barbados he got me to put a life jacket on and try to get in the sea to see the turtles that everyone else was swimming with but I just couldn't do it.

Has anyone else been through this and overcome it and if so how did you do it?
Find some adult swimming classes, there are some excellent ones about.

My mum was one of the generation where many did not learn to swim as during the war the pools were all boarded over and emptied.

I taught her to swim in her 60s, she was not a "natural" but I taught her in Cyprus and I think the warm water and weather helped her to relax.

I used to teach swimming and I only failed with two people, I just did not have the skills required.

One of my GMs learned to swim last year for the exact same reason.

Ring up your local pool or leisure centre I am sure you will find someone who can help you! OR google water/swim phobics.

Good luck
tillytheterrier
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

18-07-2011, 07:43 PM
I feel your pain. I hate swimming especially in the sea. When we went to Mexico, Stu kept trying to get me to go out with him but I wouldnt. Im only happy when I can touch the bottom. The thought of snorkelling scares the bejesus out of me! Have you contacted your local pool? A lot do adult lessons that may help. You're all in the same situation so you dont need to feel silly. Hope you beat your fear, I doubt I will. Im a wuss!
esmed
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

18-07-2011, 07:56 PM
Originally Posted by smokeybear View Post
Find some adult swimming classes, there are some excellent ones about.

My mum was one of the generation where many did not learn to swim as during the war the pools were all boarded over and emptied.

I taught her to swim in her 60s, she was not a "natural" but I taught her in Cyprus and I think the warm water and weather helped her to relax.

I used to teach swimming and I only failed with two people, I just did not have the skills required.

One of my GMs learned to swim last year for the exact same reason.

Ring up your local pool or leisure centre I am sure you will find someone who can help you! OR google water/swim phobics.

Good luck
Thanks for your post - it's definitely encouraging to read that so many people do learn later in life and that you had a good success rate! We have got a pool in town but think if i go ahead i'll travel further afield so there's less chance of seeing someone I know as that would stress me even more!!

Originally Posted by tillytheterrier View Post
I feel your pain. I hate swimming especially in the sea. When we went to Mexico, Stu kept trying to get me to go out with him but I wouldnt. Im only happy when I can touch the bottom. The thought of snorkelling scares the bejesus out of me! Have you contacted your local pool? A lot do adult lessons that may help. You're all in the same situation so you dont need to feel silly. Hope you beat your fear, I doubt I will. Im a wuss!
Rich went diving and stuff in Barbados and he always looked so disappointed when he told me all the fish and things he'd seen and that'd i'd not been there to experience it with him.

We're going on holiday in two weeks time with his family as his mum has paid for us all to go for her 60th birthday. I'm feeling quite stressed and anxious about it as we're spending a week on a sailing boat and i'm scared to death of falling off! Plus I don't want to wear a life jacket all week as i want to avoid any dodgy tan lines before the wedding!! Rich is mega excited about going and although it will be lovely to get away in the sun and i'm very grateful it's been paid for for us i still can't help but feel a bit of dread!
lore
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

18-07-2011, 08:01 PM
Although this is not something I have ever suffered from I can sympathise.

I know several adults who have learnt to swim through the local pool. One of them nearly in her 60's.

As for your fear, only you can beat that. Try little things. Stick your face underwater in the sink for a short period...tiny steps remember...then move to when you are in the bath...move to your full head slowly.

Don't worry, take it easy. I hope you manage to overcome your fear and are able to enjoy your holiday.

*PSSST* Is there any room in your suitcase for a little 'un?
esmed
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

18-07-2011, 08:06 PM
Originally Posted by lore View Post
Although this is not something I have ever suffered from I can sympathise.

I know several adults who have learnt to swim through the local pool. One of them nearly in her 60's.

As for your fear, only you can beat that. Try little things. Stick your face underwater in the sink for a short period...tiny steps remember...then move to when you are in the bath...move to your full head slowly.

Don't worry, take it easy. I hope you manage to overcome your fear and are able to enjoy your holiday.

*PSSST* Is there any room in your suitcase for a little 'un?
Thanks for your post, i should taken inspiration from my mum really as she couldn't swim up until a couple of years ago when Dad taught her in Spain.

There might be room in the suitcase but it is my honeymoon so might be a bit awkward!! Lol.
Dolce
Dogsey Senior
Female 

18-07-2011, 08:30 PM
i took adult lessons when i was 23 (9 years ago) best thing i ever did. I'll never be olympic standard but i can do it at least!

i was terrified of water, but the classes work through your fears, lesson one, was all about face in the water, lying back, nothing stressful. Youll only be asked to do more advanced things when you are ready.

I used a council run pool and cant thank the patience of the instructor enough.

It was a small group too, which helped, its good that others are in the same situation. one fella in my group was in at the same time his water duck of a son was at his advanced lessons!!

give it a go, i wish you every success.
IsoChick
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

19-07-2011, 07:47 AM
Definitely get some adult lessons!

My mum could never swim, and when we were younger, it was always my Dad who took Hev and I swimming etc.

She finally learnt when she was in her 40's; and whilst she'll never be a very confident swimmer (unlike me and Hev), she can find her way around a pool, and is happy pootling around in the sea, providing it's not too deep. A few years ago, she even went on a 'lazy river' type of tube-ride!