Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Diane
Dogsey Junior
Female 

03-05-2005, 08:41 PM

L2 - HGA (Metabolic Defect)

Thought you may all be interested to know that just this week the animal Health Trust has discovered a genetic DNA test to identify the carriers of the neurological problem L2-HGA. Up until now it has only been possible to identify affected dogs but with the ability now to identify the carriers it will be possible to totally eradicate the problem with responsible breeding. Lesley McFadyen has spoken to Cathryn Mellersh at the AHT last week and has been told that she (Catherine Mellersh) feels from her research that the problem is a lot more widespread within the breed than has been first thought.

Those people that submitted samples from their dogs for the research will be able to get their results for the carrier testing by writing to Vikki Lett, Genetic Services, Animal Health Trust, Lanwades Park, Kentford, Newmarket, Suffolk CB8 7UU. They will need to supply the dog’s pet name, KC registered name and KC registration number, as well as a microchip number if the dog is chipped and it will cost £5 per dog (cheques payable to the Animal Health Trust). Anyone who hasn’t had their dogs tested but want now to take the opportunity for testing can download the appropriate form from the AHT website at http://www.aht.org.uk/pdf/sbtL2HGAform.pdf or by contacting Vikki for forms. The cost for the whole service will be £60 per dog.

Information about the testing can be found at http://www.aht.org.uk/sci_diag_disc_genetic_l2.html

The Animal Health Trust has this week notified the dog press and also the Breed Clubs.

This new discovery will mean that identified carriers can now breed on to clear dogs without fear of producing affected puppies. For those that don't know the gene that causes the problem is auto-somnal recessive which means both parents have to be carriers to produce the problem. It is the same mode of inheritence as HC.

Diane
Lel
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

03-05-2005, 08:43 PM
Was reading about this Diane in the new Stafford magazine

More carriers have been found too havent they from samples
Diane
Dogsey Junior
Female 

03-05-2005, 08:50 PM
Up until last week the only way of identifying a carrier was for the dog to produce affected puppies. My original post is hot off the press so to speak and is the latest information that was released towards the back end of last week. I know about it as I have been closely involved with the original research.

This is a major breakthrough as it now means from a simple blood test you will know if your dog is either affected, unaffected or a carrier.

Even if your dog is a carrier you can still go ahead with breeding plans providing you only use a clear dog. All puppies in the litter should be tested as there will be a percentage of carriers born but no affected ones.

Hopefully if we all do the right thing this problem can be eridacted within a few generations.
Kazz
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

03-05-2005, 08:52 PM
Thanks for that Diane it makes interesting reading and something I will have to print and read at least three times to get it to sink in. Being as I am a bit thick
It is obviously worth doing if you consider breeding isn't it. And it would be a good time to take the blood when they test for HC wouldn't it.

And wouldn't it be nice to eradicate it

Karen
Diane
Dogsey Junior
Female 

03-05-2005, 08:56 PM
It is a must now that we have this test available, anything less is irresponsible in my view. It is heartbreaking to see a badly affected dog. They have a form of seizure in case you didnt know and they vary in severity. Some going from one straight into another.

Diane
Kazz
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

03-05-2005, 08:59 PM
Yes I understand the disease (a little) but I have never seen a dog/Staff that is affected (Thank God)
And I agree it would be pure stupidity not to test if you intend to breed. Or if you are trying to build up a "pictures" within your breeding.

Do you know how old the dogs have to be to be tested? I just wondered if it was something breeders could do before the pups leave.
Diane
Dogsey Junior
Female 

03-05-2005, 09:03 PM
Because the rogue gene has been identified any age can be tested. You need 3ml of blood which is brilliant, when they were researching they needed 10ml plus urine, ever tried to catch a wee .................................LOL
Kazz
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

03-05-2005, 09:15 PM
Originally Posted by Diane
Because the rogue gene has been identified any age can be tested. You need 3ml of blood which is brilliant, when they were researching they needed 10ml plus urine, ever tried to catch a wee .................................LOL
Only my own Di, only my own.

Karen
Emma-836592
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

04-05-2005, 08:11 AM
this is fantastic news
Kazz
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

06-06-2005, 09:23 AM
Bringing this back to the top - as it is such inportant information regarding health.

Karen