View our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Meg
Supervisor
Female  Diamond Supporter 

20-01-2005, 01:19 PM
RD on the legs? Thats odd and sounds a bit like something irritating one specific area ...have you walked through anything odd..or shampood the carpet or washed the dog covers ? If it is fleas look for the tell tale black specs of flea poo..if you put one on a wet tissue it will turn reddish/brown (blood). Also feel if the skin it that area is warmer than the rest...a sign of inflamation. I do not like eukanuba and would not feed it, if you are feeding a complete food the ones without wheat and artificial rubbish are so much better..like Burns a great food that does wonders for skin irritation.
http://www.burns-pet-nutrition.co.uk/ I have fed it for years and find it very good, no wheat or additives and contains herbs, seaweed brown rice and meat
RedDevil
Dogsey Junior
Male 

20-01-2005, 02:28 PM
i took them for a walk round the lake the other day... and it was pretty muddy (just been raining)
so when i got back, i rinsed them off with warm water.... no shampoo as i had used dog shampoo when i bathed them the week before. i just wanted to rinse the mud of really
RedDevil
Dogsey Junior
Male 

20-01-2005, 06:35 PM
absolutely gutted!!!

just come back from the vets.... hes got demodex mites / mange

the vet had nothing but bad news he said hes a very miserable dog with it and we should take him back to the place we got him and have him replaced...
we have got attached to the little fella now, we love him to bits... the kids are crying now.

but the vet said he will need a special bath every week for the rest of his life, which depending on his imune system could be a short one

so i have a choice of changing the dog or taking a chance on him and the vet bills, the vet also mentioned it will be very difficult to get pet insurance!!

im gutted

heres a pic of the little fella....

http://home.btclick.com/RedDevil/dog1.jpg
http://home.btclick.com/RedDevil/dog2.jpg
Hevvur
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

20-01-2005, 06:39 PM
RedDevil

Teagan has had Demodex, and is now recovering
Please don't worry about it.
Teagan had 5 weeks of wash in Aludex (which she was illergic to), and her demodex didn't clear up, so she had an injection, and it's all cleared up now!

If I were you, I would get a second opinion.
No one told me she would have a short life, and no one told me she'd have to be bathed every week!

Please please don't worry so much!
Go here: http://dogweb.co.uk/talk/viewtopic.php?t=5186
It's the thread I made about Teagan. There is lots of info and advice, so read it all!
Hevvur
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

20-01-2005, 06:42 PM
Ohh, just like to add: Did you vet take skin scrapes and hair pulls? If not, I would go and ask them to, then you can confirm 100% what the problem is.
Demodex is often confused with ringworm
RedDevil
Dogsey Junior
Male 

20-01-2005, 06:48 PM
yea, the poor little bugger had 2 scrapes, one on each side of his head.... he wasnt happy about having it done either.

the vet said she knew as soon as she looked at the scrape...its Demodectic mange
Hevvur
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

20-01-2005, 06:51 PM
When will you get the results from the tests?

Seriously though, don't worry!
Take a look at the topic I posted above, and the links that are in that topic, and look at the pics of Teagan! She has recovered so well.

And I still urge you to get a second opinion, as I doubt your dog will need the bath for the rest of it's life, and I doubt it's life will be a short one!

People live with low immune systems (me included), and if your dog is otherwise healthy, and well fed, it's immune system will raise!
Meg
Supervisor
Female  Diamond Supporter 

20-01-2005, 06:56 PM
Originally Posted by RedDevil
absolutely gutted!!!just come back from the vets.... hes got demodex mites / mange
the vet had nothing but bad news he said hes a very miserable dog with it and we should take him back to the place we got him and have him replaced...
we have got attached to the little fella now, we love him to bits... the kids are crying now.
but the vet said he will need a special bath every week for the rest of his life, which depending on his imune system could be a short one so i have a choice of changing the dog or taking a chance on him and the vet bills, the vet also mentioned it will be very difficult to get pet insurance!!
im gutted
heres a pic of the little fella....
http://home.btclick.com/RedDevil/dog1.jpg
http://home.btclick.com/RedDevil/dog2.jpg
RD I am so sorry but suspected it when you said 'legs' that is why I mentioned a scrape There is lots of info on the net about red mange or DM I would advise you read it..not all bad or without hope. I would not have thought changing the puppy was an option, the whole litter will most likley have it though it should not be infectious to other dogs after the first few days after the birth. You should inform the breeder whatever you decide to do, he looks a lovely little chap, poor little mite it is horrible thing to have and must be rather like exema in a human I really feel for you RD it is a horrible situation for you to be in
Can I just add a good diet is very important and can boost the immune system
Wolfie
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

20-01-2005, 07:26 PM
RedDevil, unless your vet has microscopes for eyes, then she really shouldn't be saying that it's Demodex mange

Demodex is common in younger dogs, it's passed from mum to pup during nursing. The first line of treatment is usually a miticide such as Amatraz. Sometimes the dog's coat is shaved and he will be given a series of dips with this medication. It is important to follow label instructions to avoid compli- cations for both dogs and humans. Your vet will give you instructions on what to do. Scrapings will be done again following the first series of dips. There is another treatment that is commonly used for demodectic mange, but it hasn't beeen approved yet. It is the use of Ivermectin, the same drug that is used for heartworm prevention, but given in a much stronger dosage to kill the demodex mites.Your vet might not go down this route as there has been reports of sensitivity in some pure breeds, collies being one of them. Antibiotics may be used in conjunction as well as vitamin supplements to help boost the immune system.

Your dog may also be given another examination for any underlying disease. Most dogs will recover from generalized demodectic mange. A few will require life-long treatment. Dogs who receive miticidal treatment cannot be assumed cured until a final scraping is done 12 months after the last treatment. Most dogs that will relapse do so during the first 6 months.
RedDevil
Dogsey Junior
Male 

20-01-2005, 07:27 PM
i have been reading some of the links from the net and hevvur's thread..

obviously not brilliant news but its not instant death..... when i left the vets i was really down, even more than the dog!!!

at least i know there is others on here who know a thing about it first hand (unfortunately)

as hevvur is still going through this, is there anyone who had a pup with this that made a full recovery?
or this going to be an on going problem, ie low imune system meaning he catches other diseases and illnesses?
Page 2 of 5 < 1 2 3 4 5 >