Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Pidge
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

30-06-2010, 06:31 AM
Originally Posted by mishflynn View Post
when we lived on exmoor , we kept the dogs frontlined with a spot on, i also kept a spray bottle that i could dab straight onto any little sods, i also fed ALOT of garlic which helped.

Im so lucky that in cardiff we get very few.

Im not going to really mention it, but just something to think about. Ticks do crawl through coats, but the more coat they have the more coat they have to crawl through & a quick comb after a walk at times halfway through a walk, would get rid f some litle sods before they attached!!!!

Wait til YOU get one,its MINGING!!!!! ive hadtwo before!!!!
If his coat was as long as it was before we'd never even see the ******s! Have been checking myself over madly, every day ;o)

Originally Posted by tillytheterrier View Post
Poor Woody. I hope he's recovered from the tick invasion. We seem quite luckey here. In six years, Tillys only had one tick but she did it in style! It managed to attach itself to the edge of her eyelid. I used a cotton bud to dab frontline all around it and it did drop off quite quickly. What would worry me is if there are deer in the area, ticks may be carrying lymes disease which can be very serious!
I know, gross! He had two on each eyebrow also, they were the first ones. He sat there eyeing up a piece of cheese while we removed them, was so proud of him!
IsoChick
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

30-06-2010, 08:06 AM
Em, please check out the information on http://www.bada-uk.org/. They have a section on ticks and pets.

You can use calendula essential oil as a preventative, and the website lists other preventative measures.

The boys get lots of them when we're up in Scotland. We tend to do a 'tick-groom' every night, use TCP to spot on where the ticks have been and Frontline them when we get home.

We've been using Calendula on them for about 3 months now.
Helena54
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

30-06-2010, 11:32 AM
This is very useful, even got a video showing you how to remove the little blighters! It's a must have this tool!
http://www.bada-uk.org/defence/removal/removaltool.php

The one I bought in P@H was made of thin wire, like a needle threader and it was ridiculous, so I binned it and I use tweezers, but I'm using them wrongly I've since discovered from this website!
Bitkin
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

30-06-2010, 06:09 PM
I bought one of these plastic thingies from the Vet a few days ago, because I was fed up with constantly trundling Jimmi in there to have the ticks removed!

I have had to use it every day since, and can honestly say that it is easy to use and extremely effective. So far, touch wood, the ticks have been removed cleanly and in their entirity.

They really are vile aren't they.
AllyLambell
Dogsey Senior
Female 

01-07-2010, 09:02 AM
We use Frontline Spot-On every month for fleas and ticks and even though living in the country near the beach we get badgers, foxes and deer in the area and haven't had any problems with Ticks - Dyson had 2 about a year ago when we used to treat every 3 months as recommended on the packet but since doing it 4 weekly things have been fine. BTW this is safe as Frontline Spot-On has been diluted to get round the Law of buying from places other than vets without prescriptions, meaning obviously that although it is cheaper to buy, it is not as potent and therefore not necessarily cost effective.
Lynn
Dogsey Veteran
Female  Gold Supporter 

01-07-2010, 09:11 AM
Yuk, I remember our cats use too get them and I use too have too remove them I use to use something with an alcohol base ad it worked but cannot remember the name of it.

I have been really fortunate with Ollie we have deer here and he is always wandering through the long grass but we have not had ticks or fleas in the 4 years we have had him he has a clove of garlic every night with his tea. I have never had too use any chemical flea repellents on him and I brush him every other night. I am hoping he never gets one of the blighters.
Page 3 of 3 < 1 2 3