Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Wysiwyg
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

13-06-2009, 06:26 AM
Originally Posted by Promethean View Post
....You have to remember that these sports come from a Military and Police tradition, from a time when training was not very sophisticated. I saw a video of a KNVP competition from the 30's and none of the dogs would have scored very well, or possibly passed by our modern standards. I think it is tradidtion and the fact that it works. Because we breed these dog for that character, we can get away with harsh, even brutal methods that wouldn' work with the average pet. The dog's own qualities are responsible for people not wanting to change... and tradition. I call it 'social inertia", the momentum of 100 years of this type of training make it hard to convince people there are other choices.

The methods weeded out the dogs that couldn't hack it with the dogs that could. But they also tended to think this was an either/or proposition and that you could not change the dog's attitude. We now know that this is not so and almost every breeder/trainers uses 'drive' and confidence building exercises from the moment the dog is born.

Generally people who use physical punishment tend to focus on what THEY DON'T WANT, while I have always focused on WHAT I WANT the dog to do. The example of "I don't want the dog to lick my dish" turns into "I want the dog to lie down"
Thanks for that Promethean, kind of backs up what I've thought (tradition can be very strong) plus a bit extra info.

Wys
x
Wysiwyg
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

13-06-2009, 06:28 AM
Originally Posted by Promethean View Post
Wys, did you hear the canine campus podcast on the work of Esther Schalke re E-collars?

I posted the link a week or so back.
No, I don't think I did, could you put it up again please?

Wys
x
Heldengebroed
Dogsey Senior
Male 

13-06-2009, 07:20 AM
Originally Posted by Minihaha View Post
it doesn't take a skilled trainer to force a dog to comply with heavy handed methods and painful devices.
Sorry but impossible to force a dog to do exactly what you want him to do.

example the out

You can force a dog to out but he'll try to stay on the decoy as long as possible

or

you can teach the dog to out and when he is to occupied to listen give him a reminder that you want him to out

2 ways off using an e-collar the second gives a cleaner out and thus you gain 2 4 or 6 points on every bite

which would you chose
Tassle
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

13-06-2009, 08:07 AM
Originally Posted by Heldengebroed View Post
Sorry but impossible to force a dog to do exactly what you want him to do.

example the out

You can force a dog to out but he'll try to stay on the decoy as long as possible

or

you can teach the dog to out and when he is to occupied to listen give him a reminder that you want him to out

2 ways off using an e-collar the second gives a cleaner out and thus you gain 2 4 or 6 points on every bite

which would you chose
By listen....do you mean shock or stim to get the dog to release?

Having watched e-collars being used on dogs I am aware of how the trainer I used to work for used them, I am trying to work out if you would use them the same.
Heldengebroed
Dogsey Senior
Male 

13-06-2009, 08:47 AM
To give an electric stimilus just hard enough so he consciously feels it.
You can give a stimilus that is to light and he just ignores it or doesn't feel it. you can give one that is to hard and he'll get nervous in his grip.
So basically it comes down to knowing your dog the e-collar (meaning that before use you test it on yourself) and taking in account external factors.

Greetings

Johan
Sarah27
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

13-06-2009, 10:57 AM
Originally Posted by Ben Mcfuzzylugs View Post
I forgot to say that for the first long while they just had strangers drop treats and totaly ignore the dog - he choose when he finaly wanted to interact with people - but now he is so happy he is actually doing great at agility and loving all the people watching him
This morning a man walked past as I was chatting to a friend. Boo jumped up and licked his hand - she wanted to investigate him and wasn't in the least bit scared.

This morning she has been to the vet and wasn't scared at all - either being vaccinated or microchipped.

So I must be doing something right
Ben Mcfuzzylugs
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

13-06-2009, 04:28 PM
Originally Posted by Sarah27 View Post
This morning a man walked past as I was chatting to a friend. Boo jumped up and licked his hand - she wanted to investigate him and wasn't in the least bit scared.

This morning she has been to the vet and wasn't scared at all - either being vaccinated or microchipped.

So I must be doing something right
Thats great
Of course you are doing something right you are there with the dog and know what she is OK with - different dogs respond differently
Sarah27
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

13-06-2009, 04:32 PM
True Ben. Some earlier posts were coming across as if I was doing it all wrong (not yours though).
Promethean
Dogsey Junior
Male 

19-06-2009, 04:55 AM
Originally Posted by Wysiwyg View Post
No, I don't think I did, could you put it up again please?

Wys
x
http://cdn2.libsyn.com/caninecampus/...dcd7640f4808c4
Wysiwyg
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

19-06-2009, 06:11 AM
Thanks, will take a look

Wys
x
Page 9 of 9 « First < 6 7 8 9