Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
vicki_mac
New Member!
Female 

29-10-2012, 05:50 PM

Another weaning question?

I'm weaning 6 Boxer pups and all is going great. Just have a few questions!

- Do I need to get them eating out of individual bowls before they are rehomed or are they ok all sharing their big bowl?

- I'm using James Wellbeloved with water. I'm giving them 3-4 handfuls (that's between all 6 of them in one big bowl) 4 times a day. Is this right?

Thanks for any help and advice you can give
Dr Salter
Dogsey Junior
Male 

29-10-2012, 05:56 PM
Normally you would give them three meals a day, i.e. two milky cereals like porridge or weetabix type food, and then one meaty or whichever Puppy Food you are going to give them, around teatime. You could give them two small meaty meals if you want to give four.

Some dry Puppy Food allows you feed just their food, check on the bag, Im not sure about James wellbeloved.

Love them lots and you will be fine!
tawneywolf
Female  Gold Supporter 

29-10-2012, 06:23 PM
I always put bowls down for them, plus one extra for the one that will always get left out and will be wandering around like a lost soul
I've never ever fed milky meals, they get that from their mum as they still feed from her as well, at first I feed them as a type of supplemental feed to help the mother, then gradually get them eating more and more and keep them away from their mum for longer and longer, she will also be doing her bit by discouraging them by the time they are 5-6weeks as they have VERY sharp teefs by then They all get a meaty bone at night and they keep them busy eating and playing tug of war etc with them till they go to sleep
Fivedogpam
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

29-10-2012, 07:23 PM
I commented to a friend that my latest puppy was extremely greedy and she said it was because the breeder only put one bowl down. I did remember seeing my boy getting pushed out so it could well be true.
Muddiwarx
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

29-10-2012, 07:52 PM
Your feeding sounds fine - I certainly wouldn't be feeding human cereal and milk - James Wellbeloved is ideal
vicki_mac
New Member!
Female 

29-10-2012, 08:02 PM
But Muddiwarx, how do I know if I am feeding them enough? I have no idea how many grams they should be having at each meal! I know I must sound so dumb, but I have been thrown in at the deep end as I have taking Mum and pups on for a friend. I really have no clue and need to be walked through step by step!!
Dr Salter
Dogsey Junior
Male 

29-10-2012, 10:14 PM
Originally Posted by vicki_mac View Post
But Muddiwarx, how do I know if I am feeding them enough? I have no idea how many grams they should be having at each meal! I know I must sound so dumb, but I have been thrown in at the deep end as I have taking Mum and pups on for a friend. I really have no clue and need to be walked through step by step!!
Why dont you phone the James wellbeloved advice line, the phone number should be on the bag.
Muddiwarx
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

30-10-2012, 08:20 AM
Originally Posted by vicki_mac View Post
How long does it take them to finish what you give them?
How do they look on the regime you have???
vicki_mac
New Member!
Female 

30-10-2012, 12:30 PM
They are looking great. Gaining weight and lively etc.
They finish it in no time at all....with 6 around the bowl I'd say its gone in 2 minutes.
morganstar
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

30-10-2012, 03:53 PM
Ok how big a bowl is it? I have a very large puppy bowl (about 16 inch across) and I always make sure the bottom is covered with food. If you give JWB a ring they'll tell you how much to give per meal per puppy. Four meals a day is correct and although i have been know to feed Wheetabix and milk I only do it if they're poor eaters. Sounds like your doing fine.
Page 1 of 2 1 2 >