Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
bluemerle lover
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

11-01-2007, 11:05 PM

dog not eating

shiloh has been bad with gastric hes on meds to help him but his weight loss is alot is there any kind of food that can be given to help him put weight back on he just wint eat anything that im giving him
Deccy
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

11-01-2007, 11:17 PM
I have a serial non-eater and find that some things are more fattening than others. If it is a dog with gastric problems, chicken and rice is recommended but won't do a lot for weight gain. However, pasta - maybe cooked in water with a stock cube added for flavour - is almost as bland but is a lot more fattening.
If a dog won't eat, it is often easier to offer much smaller meals but more often, even going back to puppy style 5 a day. If the gastric system can handle it, rice pudding with honey added (it has a natural antisceptic quality) will help, too.
It may be just a case of trial and error .....
JacekPacek
Dogsey Senior
Female 

11-01-2007, 11:27 PM
a/d from hills? have you tried it?
Carole
Supervisor
Female  Diamond Supporter 

11-01-2007, 11:31 PM
What about adding lamb mince to his food. That is quite fatty.
bluemerle lover
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

11-01-2007, 11:35 PM
aww thanks decy i will try him on the rice pudding and honey tomorrow,rice and pasta he wont touch at all hes ever so fussy.

aww thanks carol i will try that as well anything to get him eating again its such a worry when he wont eat

aww thank you jacekpacek no i havent tried that one yet i will get some tomorrow and see how we get on he needs to get a good decent feed inside of him hes just waisting away i know hes not a big built collie compared to his brother but seeing him so low is very upsetting.

thank you all for all your help and suggestions i will let you know how i get on
Meg
Supervisor
Female  Diamond Supporter 

11-01-2007, 11:38 PM
I think the main thing is a little and often of anything he will eat . a couple of tablespoons every few hours.
Porridge with honey is good , sardines in oil (with the excess oil poured away) most dogs like.
Hope he is better soon...
bluemerle lover
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

11-01-2007, 11:50 PM
aww thanks minihaha i tried him on sardines yesterday but he wont touch them he wants to he smells licks and then backs away i even tried hand feeding him but no go all the foods i put down he smells and backs of
zero
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

12-01-2007, 01:33 AM
don't know how good it is on a poorly tummy but even on any of the pickiest days of either of my two they never turn down tripe...lol (you could mix it in with his food to tempt him)
Vicki
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

12-01-2007, 07:04 AM
Sorry to hear Shiloh is unwell Jen. Big hugs from us xox
Christine
Dogsey Veteran

12-01-2007, 07:35 AM
Have you tried some home made chicken soup? Even if he just drinks the liquid its very nourishing, just to kick start his appetite I boil a whole chicken(till the flesh is falling of the bones) with some mixed veg & garlic, strain it then cook rice in the liquid, pick the meat of the bones & add it. Cool then see if he likes that

If he`s not intolerant to milk try full fat fresh goats milk, but be careful! Cheese, full fat live unsweetened yoghurt, eggs, any foods that are fattening to us are the same for them Toast with lots of butter then spread with honey? Any fat drippings from your roast meat poured over his food? I know a lot of dogs love cooked meats/foods that have been cooked with a crushed garlic clove or 2?
Page 1 of 2 1 2 >