Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
eloquence
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

07-01-2007, 01:09 PM

bad ears...

sorry i may have posted this in the wrong bit - please move if you need to!

Jazzie has got really smelly ears, i took her to the vet last week ( we must spend half our life over there!), she said to keep an eye on it and try and clean them with some tissue or a cotton bud. when at the vet i said i thought she had an ear infection but the vet once again passed it off.
i have tried to clean them but it is obviously uncomfortable for jazzie and she runs off and takes refuge behind the laundry basket( like its going to save her!!). She wouldn't let the vet look at them properly.

I think i'll have to take her back - i fear that they'll have to sedate her to look at her ears and be able to clean them properly though.

poor jazzie - she used to love the vets, but from when she was poorly last july( which she has not forgotton) she now hates them!!

does anyone know if i can try anything else or should i just take her back to the vets. i don't have a problem with taking her back and money is not a problem but i just don't want to stress her out again.
Nursey
Almost a Veteran
Female 

07-01-2007, 01:31 PM
Try this.

It's aimed at American Cockers but it will work just as well on any breed. It's has a really good reputation.

http://www.zimfamilycockers.com/EarCleaner.html

Dawn R.
Kristina
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

07-01-2007, 01:42 PM
Hi there,

Murphy got very smelly ears once. I think it was an infection because there was also very dark waxy stuff too which wasnt usually there.

I put Johnsons veterinary ear drops in his ears and it cleared it up no problem. It is designed to ''kill ear mites ("otodectes cynotis"), soothe irritation and soften wax.

If nothing else it might soothe Jazzies ears and help you clean then by softening up the wax. I think the ear drops can be bought at most pet shops but definitely at PAH. Hope thats helps a little. And hope poor Jazzie gets sorted quickly x
crazycockers
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

07-01-2007, 01:48 PM
If my cocker girls get slightly smelly ears I use a product called Thornit powder http://www.thornit.co.uk/ I use it for 2 days max and everything clears up.
Inca
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

07-01-2007, 02:01 PM
Originally Posted by crazycockers View Post
If my cocker girls get slightly smelly ears I use a product called Thornit powder http://www.thornit.co.uk/ I use it for 2 days max and everything clears up.
fab product ...swear by it
eloquence
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

07-01-2007, 02:17 PM
oh wow - lots of other ideas!!

thanks guys.
Christine
Dogsey Veteran

07-01-2007, 03:33 PM
Originally Posted by Nursey View Post
Try this.

It's aimed at American Cockers but it will work just as well on any breed. It's has a really good reputation.

http://www.zimfamilycockers.com/EarCleaner.html

Dawn R.
I use a similar version to this & its brilliant, it can also be used on hot spots, sores etc. The one I use has no vinegar & has gentian violet instead of betadine

http://itsfortheanimals.com/Adobe/Bl...0Treatment.pdf
Nursey
Almost a Veteran
Female 

07-01-2007, 03:44 PM
I'm a Thornit fan too, but if the ears are visibly dirty I would prefer to get them clean first, then keep them clean and fresh with Thornit.

Dawn R.
scorpio
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

07-01-2007, 03:57 PM
Yes, we use Thornit too.

If mine only have grubby ears, (no sign of infections), I clean them first with a mixture of surgical spirit and calamine lotion. I wouldn't use it on sore ears as the spirit would make them sting

I also use Leo ear cleaner from the vet if they've had any problems.
Mahooli
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

07-01-2007, 04:27 PM
I just whack in the Thornit, it lifts the wax and you can gentle clean it out, no filling up the ears with a liquid and I use a small pinch weekly. Never had an ear problem.
Becky