Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
DobieGirl
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

05-01-2007, 12:53 PM

Elevated bowls, good or bad?

Following on from the Table Scraps thread, I read in there that it is NOT good for a dog to eat from a high feeding bowl?!?

I was advised that this is better for the dogs neck and have elevated bowls for Roxy.

Can someone explain the bad points to this please?
scorpio
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

05-01-2007, 12:57 PM
Good thread, I'll be interested too, mine all drink from elevated bowls but don't eat from them.

I did try giving their food like that also but they would just drag it from the bowls and eat off the floor
Jojo-eena
Dogsey Junior
Female 

05-01-2007, 12:59 PM
I've just bought one for Theo as they say that it is supposed to help stop bload which I am now paranoid about ( had a JRT before so it never applied) but I did read on one Bloat link not to feed from a raised bowl - all the others seem to say do, it's very confusing.
Trouble
Dogsey Veteran
Female  Diamond Supporter 

05-01-2007, 01:08 PM
Mine eat from elevated bowls and fail to see how feeding them from a bowl on the floor could be comfortable for them, to me it would be like me eating while standing on my head. There is also a lot less mess with eating from a bowl that is higher as they don't have to move their heads from the bowl between mouthfuls, they just stand and take their time to eat.
rachelsetters
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

05-01-2007, 01:15 PM
Initially I got raised bowls to avoid bloat but there is contradicting advice on this one - but I still use them for comfort rather than anything else now. I agree that eating from the floor can't be comfortable. Although one of mine takes it from the bowl and lies on his bed to munch!
Evie
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

05-01-2007, 01:19 PM
Willow has raised bowls for food and water. I got them after her amputation because she ws in pain bending to eat and drink. I also believed there was the added advantage of reduced risk of bloat.

But since then I have seen on one website that raied bowls INCREASE the risk of bloat, and also noticed Patch mentions the additional risk in another topic here.

I'm confused.
I will continue to use the raised bowls for her, perhaps lowering them slightly (would that help at all I wonder?).
Meg
Supervisor
Female  Diamond Supporter 

05-01-2007, 01:33 PM
I don't really know if elevating bowls is good or bad I have read a lot from people proposing both options.

The causes of bloat are not completely understood, I think maybe one should look at the many suspected causes of bloat then to draw conclusions as to which measures could logically have an affect on these causes .

Here is an interesting artice I read a while ago on bloat, it may be of interest to some.

http://www.dogstuff.info/beating_bloat_pflaumer.html
Hali
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

05-01-2007, 01:34 PM
Evie, I may be wrong (and no doubt others will confirm or otherwise), but I had understood that the chances of a whippetx getting bloat would be very,very small. If this is the case, it would seem sensible just for you to continue feeding Willow whatever way is most comfortablel for her.
DobieGirl
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

05-01-2007, 01:39 PM
Thanks for that Mini, I always assumed Bloat was just when they ate to fast (which is Roxy down to a tee)

But thankfully she has never had it so far. However she does sometimes have those symptoms listed in that article
Vicki
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

05-01-2007, 02:52 PM
My dane had both her eating and drinking bowls elevated
Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4 >