View our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Serendai
New Member!
Female 

05-01-2007, 07:00 AM

What food should I avoid giving to my dog?

I have a 2 year old yorkie and I've recently decided to start making her dog-food for her instead of buying them, I would like to know if there are certain foods I should avoid giving her or if there are certain foods that is rich in nutrients that I should give her.

and if anyone knows any good dog food recipes, that would be nice too
Mahooli
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

05-01-2007, 09:18 AM
I think you need to contact the relevant raw food sites so that you can make sure you give her the right balanced diet. Cooked bones are always a no no though.
Becky
Meg
Supervisor
Female  Diamond Supporter 

05-01-2007, 09:46 AM
Hi Sarendai, here is a list of some things to avoid ..
also avoid salt and milk because many dogs are lactose intolerant and any prepared human food containing additives.

You can always feed a variety of fresh food (making sure it is varied so that it contains a wide variety of nutrients) ..
fish/eggs/cottage cheese and yogurt (the lactose is negligible in these) vegetables/rice/ pearl barley/oats.

Christine has make a good suggestion here...
http://www.dogsey.com/showpost.php?p=883736&postcount=2
Daniellew
Dogsey Junior

05-01-2007, 03:27 PM
Avoid
Bones from fish, poultry, or other meat sources
Chocolate, coffee, tea, and other caffeine
Fat trimmings
Grapes and raisins
Hops
Large amounts of liver
Macadamia nuts
Milk and other dairy products
Mushrooms
Onion
Rhubarb
Potato peelings
Raw fish
Sugary foods
Christine
Dogsey Veteran

06-01-2007, 06:25 AM
Hi DanielW
I`ve been feeding my dogs a raw fresh food diet for a number of years now & they get raw fish, complete with bones, raw poultry, again with bones, also whole quails, meaty lamb & pork bones. The bones are needed as a major source of calcium, as well as other nutrients.

You also say avoid milk & other dairy products, yet in another post you recommend a recipe of 3 eggs & skimmed milk for breakfast And I don`t know whats wrong with potato peelings? In my home I rarely peel spuds & any left overs are given to the dogs, especially baked spuds. A lot of vitamins are just under the skin of certain fruit n veg & are lost when peeled.

I think people wanting to prepare home made food for their dogs should have at least 1 book to refer to, I like the I by Richard Pitcairn that Mini has already given but here it is again
http://www.drpitcairn.com/books/pitcairn_book.html

It`s not difficult making your own dog food, its just they do have basic requirements that are best learned about before embarking on it
My dogs get :
Whole quails, whole fish, whole chickens & whole rabbit (when I can get them the right weight, if not they are cut up) beef, pork, chicken & turkey meat. Whole apples, pears,bananas,figs,carrots, tomatoes,cauki, broccoli, cabbage etc etc. I also puree a combination of those along with porridge oats & garlic & goats milk. I sometimes make my own yoghurt & they have that as well with honey & several times a week they get whole raw eggs but without the shell
SBT
Dogsey Junior
Male 

06-01-2007, 08:08 AM
I feed a similar diet to Christine, the problem with potato is green sprouts and green potato skins.
Serendai
New Member!
Female 

06-01-2007, 08:53 AM
Thanks for the advice everyone n.n
I went to my library today and suprisingly they have a book just for dog-food recipes there.
I tried one recipe for the doggie treats today and ended up eating some of them myself >.<
604sweetqt
Dogsey Junior
Female 

12-01-2007, 07:25 AM
Which book should I get

1. Dog Ate It by Linda Eckhardt

OR

2. Dog Health & Nutrition For Dummies by M. Christine Zink