Dogsey Veteran
Female 

03-11-2006, 10:07 PM
Like us Humans Some things work for some Dogs but not others
Moobli
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

03-11-2006, 10:14 PM
Neither of mine are scared of fireworks thank god. I wouldn't like to use drugs willy nilly but Diazepam worked for my dog at a time when she was exceptionally distressed and I would use it again in future if necessary. Fingers crossed I won't need to.
angelmist
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

04-11-2006, 12:30 AM
Mine fortunatly don't mind them eather, Angel doesn't like to be outside when their going off but is fine in the house, we had loads going off on the back of us tonight & Misty actually went & sat outside the back door & watched in awe, she thought it was great.
Patch
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

04-11-2006, 01:24 AM
Originally Posted by Ailsa1 View Post
Wonder if we had a duff batch then cos my 2 were both a million times worse on it than off it (and they are BAD off it).....

My Grem was far worse on sedatives also, she fought them hard. The problem for her is, her mind stays alert while the muscle relaxant element kicks in so she felt even more vulnerable and helpless because of being physicaly wobbly from the drugs, so yes they can do more harm than good.
Valerian however, is not a sedative, it takes the edge off things but without drowsiness so she has full control of herself and feels better able to cope as a result [ as well as Valerian working on animals in a way which makes them more confident ].

I got in a few minutes ago from waiting for the police to deal with the morons a few doors down who started setting fireworks off just after midnight - illegal after hours and means they can be given an on the spot fine [ £80 ].
After waiting some time I called the police back to find out where they had got to and was told there was a delay in them coming out because of an incident somewhere so I told them they`d better get a move on as another `incident` was imminent...

The idiots setting them off had their parents dog in the house and he was going demented, [ I could see him when I went round, poor lad, but they ignored the doorbell when I tried to get them to stop, the cowards ], all the other dogs nearby were barking like mad, and there are horses behind and opposite their house. Also while I was waiting, they all went inside and a `duff` firework they had tossed in the incinerator they had lit, [ to keep warm by ], went off so they all rushed out again and thought it was highly amusing - yes I`m sure they would be as amused had it set their house or next doors alight or if one of them had been stood next to it when it went off...
Mindless morons, their parents will go nuts when they get back from wherever they are for the weekend.
Linda57
Dogsey Junior
Female 

04-11-2006, 03:13 AM
Just wanted to add to this discussion - we have had great success with a de-senstisizing (sp)? CD from the vet.

We started about two weeks ago, playing every evening, we can play through the surround sound speakers whilst the tv is still on, making it seem very casual.

Tess (my scaredy-Staffie) usually, pants a lot and eventually goes into a complete panic - trying to cram herself into small spaces (shelves and the PC printer shelf etc) usually ending up injuring herself.

when the fireworks start, we also put on the CD, which seems to confuse enough to definitely take the edge off her fear. She even ate something whilst the main display went on locally tonight.
Buster & Bella
Dogsey Senior
Female 

06-11-2006, 09:09 AM
hi all and thanks for your comments.

Bella was fine after her jab thanks. x

It was diazepam that i used on Buster and it did the trick along with the washing machine going and the radio. his legs were a bit wobbly but he was definately more relaxed and hardly barked unless he had to go pee!

where i live is a housing estate and when it comes to 5 nov its like world war 3!

i wasnt happy with using the drug but i had to do something to calm the lil mite down, bless him.
Inca
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

06-11-2006, 09:22 AM
as long as it worked and he was ok thats all that matters mine weren't too bad we set up a freedom pen in the lounge and they just slept in there most of the evening ..we too are on an estate and it was like a war zone they went on for hours last night and we had a display less than half a mile away
Buster & Bella
Dogsey Senior
Female 

06-11-2006, 09:23 AM
i really hope they ban private displays!
Inca
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

06-11-2006, 09:26 AM
the display was in a field so not too bad ...its the dam neighbours trying to out do each other that bugs me

who got the biggest rocket type of sad thing

like my OH says they should spend the cash sorting their gardens out of crap
Buster & Bella
Dogsey Senior
Female 

06-11-2006, 10:25 AM
i definately know what u mean!

OH went to the shop and there was kids outside the shop letting off rockets and one nearly missed him! he was not amused!
Page 3 of 4 < 1 2 3 4 >