View our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Cumbrian Lass
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

30-01-2006, 10:41 PM

Am I in cuckoo land? Will a Dobermann be acceptable as a PAT dog?

I am considering training Marley, 12 mth old Dobermann to be a PAT dog. I'm not very familiar with this at all, apart from what I read on http://www.doglogic.com/therapy.htm

and another thread in the archives.

Does anyone know if anyone has used a Dobermann for PAT? The reason I ask this is sadly there are a lot of 'breedist' views out there and I don't want lovely Marley to go through this just to be rejected just because of her breed. What do you think?

Any advice, hints or tips regarding PAT training and testing would be greatly appreciated too.
Shadowboxer
Fondly Remembered
Female  Diamond Supporter 

31-01-2006, 02:38 AM
No advice as such, but I can see no reason on earth why a Doberman should not be an excellent PAT dog. If she has the right temperament and is not likely to get spooked by sudden noises, sudden movement or by things like people in wheelchairs, on crutches, etc., then I would doubt she would be rejected simply because of her breed. Even if that was likely the PAT trainers would tell you as soon as you made enquiries about training if they thought that any nursing facility would not welcome a Doberman.

Go for it - it would be a great thing to do
Pita
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

31-01-2006, 08:17 AM
Providing your dog can pass the assessment, the breed or lack of breed does not enter into it, there are even Elkhound Pat dogs. The dog must be calm, clean, and controllable should like people and being loved not put off by people who look or behave in a strange manner. Should add that they must be gentle when taking food as they are often offered biscuits by those they are visiting. If it is work you would like to do go ahead, if is well worthwhile.
Kazz
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

31-01-2006, 03:09 PM
Well I can't see why not a Rottie the PAT people are very "unbiased"

The criteria as Thorndell has just said, my Sal is a Staff and a pat dog and I know of a Rottie thats a PAT dog and many GSD's and all sorts of breeds to many to mention. You do need to have owned he dog for 6 months though - suspect this is o the dog is settled with you.

Good luck phone themup they are really really friendly and will put you in touch with a local assessor
Cumbrian Lass
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

31-01-2006, 06:10 PM
Thanks peeps. You have brightened my spirits no end. I'm sorry to sound so negative when I posted this, but when I mentioned to an associate that I was thinking of getting Marley tested, her reaction was " WHAT??? A dobermann??????"

And then she spent another 5 mins telling me WHY she didn't think it would work...

Well Marley has got her first test so to speak tomorrow (if/when I fix my flat car tyre which I've just discovered). Her and Micha are coming to uni with me to be tested with staff, and then with the students. So fingers crossed, if that goes OK, then I'll definately apply for her to be assessed

Thanks again for your encouraging comments.

Can someone direct me where I apply please? (I used to have the web link, but can't find it at mo)
Pita
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

31-01-2006, 06:15 PM
Think this is what you need
Cumbrian Lass
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

31-01-2006, 06:38 PM
Originally Posted by Thordell
Think this is what you need

Thanks, that is exactly what I wanted
leo
Dogsey Veteran
Male 

31-01-2006, 09:14 PM
as the others have put already breed does not come into it.
toby is a working pat dog, i thought the same as you they wouldn't take him due to his size.
contact pets as theraphy then arrange the assessment with their local assessor and go for it.
they tell you the details on how they found your dog etc them its that form and your references (2 of) put together to tell you yes or no.
all kinds of dogs do pat work......size.shape....breed doesn't come into it.
it all goes how how stable the dog is and how well you can control it.
Jackie
Dogsey Veteran
Female  Diamond Supporter 

31-01-2006, 09:33 PM
As long as the temperament is good , the breed does not matter, I have friend who takes her Rotties...........to an OAP home the old dears love , the dogs...........so go for it ,
Naomi
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

05-02-2006, 05:01 PM
Only just caught this thread.

Breed is of no issue at all. So long as they have the right temprament and pass the assessment you will have no problems at all.

Good luck to you
Page 1 of 2 1 2 >