Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
pitboy
Dogsey Junior
Male 

01-08-2013, 01:35 AM

Fastest dog on 4 legs!

I all ways thought the greyhound was the fast but I been hearing thire are many breeds faster like the whippet and the smaller italian greyhound ?...... Basically I am asking what is the most known fastest dog breed ?
catrinsparkles
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

01-08-2013, 06:45 AM
I always thought it was the greyhound as they can reach 45 miles per hour. I think Remus (my 9 month old bull lurches) can do 30 miles an hour already)

I found this link.

http://www.vetstreet.com/our-pet-exp...-on-the-planet
marley123
Dogsey Senior
Male 

01-08-2013, 08:24 AM
Salukis are the only dog faster than a grey I think
JoedeeUK
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

01-08-2013, 09:52 AM
Depends on over what distance the speed is measured, greyhounds & similar are fast over shorter distances of just under a kilometer.

If the speed is calculated over a longer distance than the sled dog breeds would probably be faster.

It's a bit like comparing Usain Bolt & Mo Farrar Both fast men but who is actually the fastest ??
Lacey10
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

01-08-2013, 09:55 AM
I'm thinking the fastest dog on four legs is my Lacey when its time for her eye drops
Tang
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

01-08-2013, 11:33 AM
Originally Posted by Eileen Duffy View Post
I'm thinking the fastest dog on four legs is my Lacey when its time for her eye drops

I've no idea but my little minpin (cross between German Pinscher, Italian greyhound and dachshund) is the fastest dog I've ever owned. And she can outrun all the other dogs we've met so far. Not surprising as it seems German Pinscher and Italian Greyhounds are right up there with fastest dog breeds.

When I was in the UK last year and getting to know new dog owners there, walking with a lady I saw every day, a guy came around the corner with his staffy and I asked him 'Is she friendly?' He said 'she's never killed one of those yet but she might chase it'. The lady I was with said 'she might chase it but I can assure you she won't CATCH it!'

Bella is just a BLUR when she gets up speed. And just a slob the rest of the time!

*editing to say I just tried looking it up and it is generally agreed that these dogs 'are fast' but the answer that made me smile was ...

Let's just say that if the mini pinscher runs away you won't be catching it
chlosmum
Almost a Veteran
Female 

01-08-2013, 12:18 PM
I once read (can't remember where) that a Tibetan Spaniel can reach a speed of 30mph over a short distance which doesn't surprise me in the least having chased after her uphill and down dale many a time.

My Pei on the other hand was built for comfort and not for speed and apart from the odd mad moment, running was definitely NOT on her agenda!

When she escaped from the garden she'd start off with a brisk trot which soon slowed down to a walk and if she found something interesting to sniff at she'd come to a stop. Marvellous for me because, unlike Chloe, she'd never go very far and was sooo easy to catch.
Tang
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

01-08-2013, 01:35 PM
Chlosmum - like your dog I am built for comfort, not speed! I also have more than a few odd mad moments!
Nippy
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

01-08-2013, 01:48 PM
Originally Posted by marley123 View Post
Salukis are the only dog faster than a grey I think
This is difficult to confirm because Salukis never run in a straight line they zig zag.
If you could time Greys and Salukis running like for like it is generally thought that the Saluki is faster

Maiseymoo
Dogsey Junior
Female 

01-08-2013, 03:29 PM
bless her little heart.
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 >