Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
alexgirl73
Almost a Veteran
Female 

13-06-2012, 06:49 PM

Time alone

What's the longest time you would feel comfortable with or have left your dog on its own? Currently the longest Ranger has been left is 5 hours, but obviously I know there are people who work who leave their dogs for a lot longer. What would you say is the absolute limit?
Pawsonboard
Almost a Veteran
Female 

13-06-2012, 06:50 PM
I dont like leaving roxie more than 4, but then I have seperation anxiety - she couldnt care less! lol
President
New Member!
Male 

13-06-2012, 07:04 PM
Well, President has super separation anxiety...so for him it'll probably be 3 hrs... But I believe it depends on the dog. My maltese Coffee seems to do a lot better when their bother separated.
EmmiS
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

13-06-2012, 07:07 PM
i've left sweep for well over 12 hours before, not out of choice, out of getting stuck on the m25 for god knows how long. I was ridden with guilt when i got back, he just wanted to go for a wee then went back to sleep, i assume he'd slept all day. I'd never leave a dog for more than 5 hours out of choice. Though i guess when you sleep you are sort of leaving them for 8ish hours.
smokeybear
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

13-06-2012, 07:09 PM
Depends on the dog, mine can cope with whatever is thrown at them.
alexgirl73
Almost a Veteran
Female 

13-06-2012, 07:12 PM
I've been trying to build up his length of time left alone, so that if there ever is an emergency where he HAS to be left, then it's not a huge shock to him. As long as there are no plastic bags left around for him to shred *roll eyes*, then he's been fine so far
Tang
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

13-06-2012, 07:13 PM
My little dog is fine with up to about 4 hrs. And can quite happily be left longer if she's been taken out for a LOOONG walk just before being left. She is always asleep when I get back.

She knows that if she has just been taken out she is not going the next time if it is soon after.

When she hasn't been out for a while and sees me 'getting ready' she is all eager and waiting by the door to get her lead on.

When she's just been out and sees me getting ready she slopes off to lie on my bed because she knows she is not coming with me!
louise!
Dogsey Senior
Female 

13-06-2012, 07:14 PM
My two adult dogs stay home while my parents work, they're left 8-10 hours a day with no problems what so ever, bar a bit of bin tipping! They have free range of the house but they prefer to sleep on my mum's bed and watch passerbys through the window. Not left the puppy for longer than 4 hours yet as she's still crated, a bit worried about how I'm going to deal with leaving her for longer periods as I've been offered some overtime at work during the day and I'm not comfortable leaving her crated for 6-7 hours but then again I'm not chuffed with the prospect of coming home to a wrecked house either!
Hevvur
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

13-06-2012, 07:14 PM
The pups have done 7 hours so far.
I like to be able to leave them incase there is an emergency.
I increase by an hour each time.
Anniebee
Almost a Veteran
Female 

13-06-2012, 07:48 PM
6 hours before MY guilt sets in. When I get home, Kibo seems completely unbothered by it
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 >