Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
LouyLou
New Member!
Female 

01-06-2012, 12:46 PM

My dog is still crying after an Epulis Operation

We took our 9 year old labrador to the vet on Monday as we noticed a red lump on his lower gum. It was not bothering him at all but we thought we'd better check.
The vet said it needed removing as it could be cancerous. She also said she could feel a small lump on the right hand side of his body and should take a sample for testing whilst under the anesthetic.
On Wednesday he went for the op, they removed the epulis (gum-boil) in his mouth, and created a 5" wound down his side whilst trying to find the lump, which they said disappeared when they laid him on his side.
Since then, he has not stopped crying. We have sat with him day and night. We have taken him back to the vets and he's had pain killer injections. He has no strength in his back legs and struggles to stand. The vet now thinks that he's had a reaction to the pain killers and maybe given too many. He is just constantly crying and very sad. He doesn't want to walk, just lays. We don't know if he is pain, but he does not seem agitated with his wounds. Can anyone help.
katygeorge
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

01-06-2012, 03:18 PM
Sadly cant offer any help. But sounds like your vet has caused undue stress to your dog and you. Hope hes feeling better soon
Vicki
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

01-06-2012, 03:22 PM
How awful for you. I wouldn't want to offer any advice in case it was wrong. I hope there's an improvement soon.

x0x
Ellie-Dal
Dogsey Junior
Female 

01-06-2012, 03:46 PM
Feel so sad for you and your furry friend. Hope he improves real soon.
Ben Mcfuzzylugs
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

01-06-2012, 03:52 PM
I am so sorry, that must be so horrible for you and him

Hope things get better really soon
Hali
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

01-06-2012, 03:57 PM
sorry to hear this - it doesn't sound quite right.

How much do you trust your vet? If you are in any doubt, you could always take him to another to get a second opinion.

I hope he is soon on the mend.
LouyLou
New Member!
Female 

01-06-2012, 06:25 PM
Hi Guys
Thank you for your replys and thoughts so far.
He is still crying, and hasn't slept today. He is always reluctant to do his business in the garden, so we lifted him into the car and took him to his usual park. He walked a few meters, did his stuff, then wanted to go back to the car. I realise he has had an op and feels groggy, but how long is it normally before a dog is back on his feet.

We have given him 1/2 a paracetamol as well as his Rimadol tablet (advised by the vet), but the crying has not stopped.
Not sure if he is in pain and if so, which of his wounds is causing it as he doesn't seem to scratching or rubbing at them.

Its so hard not knowing what is wrong!

We feel so guilty for putting him through this. We put our trust in the vets but we have lost all confidence in them.
moetmum
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

01-06-2012, 06:31 PM
I hope he is feeling better soon.
Milk maid
Almost a Veteran
Female 

01-06-2012, 08:02 PM
If it was me and I was not happy then I would take him to another vet and get a second opinion.
Hope he picks up soon.
Malka
Dogsey Veteran
Female  Diamond Supporter 

01-06-2012, 08:54 PM
Poor boy - I do hope he starts to feel better very soon. I have to admit that I do not very much like the sound of your vet though, firstly making a 5" incision for a lump which they then cannot find, and secondly saying he thinks that he has had a reaction to the pain killers and maybe been given too many.
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 >