View our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Moobli
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

24-06-2011, 08:30 AM
I wish I could watch the vids! I will do as soon as I am somewhere with a broadband connection.
scout75
Dogsey Senior
Female 

24-06-2011, 10:36 AM
Originally Posted by smokeybear View Post
With this sort of dog you may wish to reconsider whether it is wise for him to win the sleeve at all.......................... just a thought, not saying I am right, but something to keep in the back of your mind.

70% is not a high enough success rate with this dog, remember you only have 3 tries on the competition field before you are disqualified...................
Do you think he is a strong dog from looking at the video's or because of what you know of his dad?

I don't think he is particularly strong, I just see him as a very sweet, very biddable dog and I think the reason he isn't outing straight away is because I have been lazy and allowed him to think that he doesn't have to let go instantly...

But I am inexperienced and maybe am not seeing something that someone with more experience can see, so I would value your opinion.

Thanks!

Edited to add....

I do this kind of thing with him (getting him to out and then come away)

http://s778.photobucket.com/albums/y...urrent=003.mp4
smokeybear
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

24-06-2011, 12:35 PM
How old is he?
scout75
Dogsey Senior
Female 

24-06-2011, 12:45 PM
19 months..
smokeybear
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

24-06-2011, 05:59 PM
Originally Posted by scout75 View Post
Do you think he is a strong dog from looking at the video's or because of what you know of his dad?

Both

I don't think he is particularly strong, I just see him as a very sweet, very biddable dog and I think the reason he isn't outing straight away is because I have been lazy and allowed him to think that he doesn't have to let go instantly...

Exactly, with a dog like this you canot AFFORD to be lazy!

But I am inexperienced and maybe am not seeing something that someone with more experience can see, so I would value your opinion.

Thanks!

Edited to add....

I do this kind of thing with him (getting him to out and then come away)

http://s778.photobucket.com/albums/y...urrent=003.mp4
Your dog is very young, they change ENORMOUSLY from this age to 3 and still more from 3 - 4, so it is not that he will change into something horrible, but he will push and push and push..........
scout75
Dogsey Senior
Female 

24-06-2011, 06:38 PM
Your dog is very young, they change ENORMOUSLY from this age to 3 and still more from 3 - 4, so it is not that he will change into something horrible, but he will push and push and push..........
Thanks, I did some 'out' training today (on the move, in a sit, playing tug) and he outed every time. So I will keep this up so that it becomes automatic for him.
smokeybear
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

24-06-2011, 06:43 PM
Thanks, I did some 'out' training today (on the move, in a sit, playing tug) and he outed every time. So I will keep this up so that it becomes automatic for him.

You will need to maintain this throughout his life and NEVER get sloppy......................

Some things are negotiable, some things are not.
scout75
Dogsey Senior
Female 

24-06-2011, 07:05 PM
You will need to maintain this throughout his life and NEVER get sloppy......................

Some things are negotiable, some things are not.
I will do. The problem I have is when non doggy people come round and want to play with him and then he doesn't out so well for them (especially when they say out but then keep tugging so are rewarding him with a tug game for not outing )

Do you think it matters as long as he outs for me?
smokeybear
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

24-06-2011, 07:08 PM
I will do. The problem I have is when non doggy people come round and want to play with him and then he doesn't out so well for them (especially when they say out but then keep tugging so are rewarding him with a tug game for not outing )

Do you think it matters as long as he outs for me?
Yes I do, remember all behaviour is transferable, do you want him to view the helpers the same way as he views your friends?

I would not allow this, each time your dog is practising this behaviour he is getting better at it.

Ask yourself, do you really want your dog to be ACE at not outing?
scout75
Dogsey Senior
Female 

24-06-2011, 07:25 PM
Yes I do, remember all behaviour is transferable, do you want him to view the helpers the same way as he views your friends?

I would not allow this, each time your dog is practising this behaviour he is getting better at it.

Ask yourself, do you really want your dog to be ACE at not outing?
Ok good point. I will be strict with guests too!
Page 2 of 2 < 1 2