Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
scout75
Dogsey Senior
Female 

24-06-2011, 04:30 AM

A few Schutzhund vids..

Kofi and I have been doing Schutzhund for 4 months now and are both loving it.

My parents are here this week so they took some video for me, so thought I would share for anyone interested.

Heelwork away from helper (I am very pleased with this because a month ago, I couldn't get him to look away from the helper never mind heel!!)

http://s767.photobucket.com/albums/x...urrent=132.mp4

Down until the helper runs..

http://s767.photobucket.com/albums/x...urrent=129.mp4

Any opinions welcome, as we are both newbies still...
smokeybear
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

24-06-2011, 04:35 AM
I notice that after your "aus" commands, there is another "aus" command (by helper) why is this?
scout75
Dogsey Senior
Female 

24-06-2011, 05:34 AM
Originally Posted by smokeybear View Post
I notice that after your "aus" commands, there is another "aus" command (by helper) why is this?
I have only just started trying to command him 'out' on the sleeve and he doesn't always do it straight away so I think the helper is reinforcing my command...is this not how it's normally done?
smokeybear
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

24-06-2011, 05:53 AM
Be very careful............... this is a strong dog, you need to ensure that he DOES out first time............. on YOUR command THIS dog will be prone to not outing at all.............
scout75
Dogsey Senior
Female 

24-06-2011, 06:04 AM
Be very careful............... this is a strong dog, you need to ensure that he DOES out first time............. on YOUR command THIS dog will be prone to not outing at all.............
Yes, I know it's been an issue in his lines. What should I do though if I command out and he doesn't? The helper is asking me to do it from a distance so I don't know what to do if he doesn't..

Thanks..
smokeybear
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

24-06-2011, 06:07 AM
There should never be an option.

What is he like with his ball?
scout75
Dogsey Senior
Female 

24-06-2011, 06:15 AM
There should never be an option.

What is he like with his ball?
If he has it in his mouth without me holding it then he will out first time. Sometimes it takes 2 commands if we have been playing tuggy and I still have hold of the end.
smokeybear
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

24-06-2011, 06:20 AM
Originally Posted by scout75 View Post
If he has it in his mouth without me holding it then he will out first time. Sometimes it takes 2 commands if we have been playing tuggy and I still have hold of the end.
I would not accept this, you need to ensure that when you say out it means out there and then.

So I would practise.

Static outs

when in the sit, down and stand

When you get this I would then ask the dog to do something else WITHOUT picking up the ball first.

Eg tell the dog to sit, tell the dog to out, then tell the dog to come.

He should leave the ball in situ, he can be clicked for the come (make sure it IS a come not an approach with my eye on the ball)

Moving outs

Ask the dog to drop it whilst doing heelwork.

Ask the dog to drop it on the way back to you after chasing it.

Then I would ask for the dog to out when you are STILL playing tuggy.

If you move the ball around his head etc will he leave it until you give him the command to take it?

Remember, control the game and you control the dog.

If you cannot get the out on the ball AT THIS AGE in all the scenarios above, you will not get the out on the sleeve when he gets older.

What is he like with the sleeve, does he win it and carry it around?

If he does will he drop it on command without MAKING him drop it?
scout75
Dogsey Senior
Female 

24-06-2011, 06:30 AM
Thank you, some great tips I will start working on.

He will out and then come away and heel around the ball and he will leave it while I move about his head. But I haven't tried asking him to drop it on the move etc..

When he wins the sleeve he does keep it and carry it around (or back to the car), when I stopped him moving to tell him out he used to want to start chewing and thrashing it but I would say now that 70% of the time he outs first time and 30% he needs another command.
smokeybear
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

24-06-2011, 06:41 AM
With this sort of dog you may wish to reconsider whether it is wise for him to win the sleeve at all.......................... just a thought, not saying I am right, but something to keep in the back of your mind.

70% is not a high enough success rate with this dog, remember you only have 3 tries on the competition field before you are disqualified...................
Page 1 of 2 1 2 >