Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
JanieM
Dogsey Senior
Female 

18-08-2009, 01:33 PM

The death penalty

Ok, a rather serious topic I know, but I was watching The Life of David Gale the other day (anyone else see it?) basically about proving that innocent people can sometimes be executed, and it got me thinking about the whole debate and what I thought about it.

I'm kind of in 2 minds, but the larger part of me is against for the simple reason I think it's wrong to take a persons life (except in the case of euthanasia, but that's another topic altogether). The smaller part of me is a bit less pacifist and for some of the most heinous crimes is the only option execution because unless prison is seriously tough going, is it punishment enough?

Ok, I'm muttering on now so will open it up to you.....what do you all think?
Nippy
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

18-08-2009, 01:58 PM
Hi Jane, I am and always have been against corporal punishment.
There have been mistakes made in the past, mistakes that cannot be undone.
I accept that in this day and age mistakes should not happen, with DNA testing etc but I do not have wholehearted faith in DNA testing.

The sadistic half of me says why should a murder who torments and tortures their victim have their life snuffed out painlessly. There are criminals who I would like far worse things to happen to

My point is though we have to certain beyond all doubt and I am not sure how that can happen.
JanieM
Dogsey Senior
Female 

18-08-2009, 03:03 PM
Yes, I sometimes think that death is almost too good an option in some ways and that prison should be something to dread. Russian style labour camps maybe?

When the thought of capital punishment being re-introduced into this country is mentioned, I have to say it makes me shudder, so I guess that that means I really don't agree with it.
hectorsmum
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

19-08-2009, 10:05 AM
with DNA and forensics getting more and more accurate the i do think the Death Penalty should be reintroduced.

it would act as a deterrant and would cost us less in prison costs.
why should we pay for a murderer to stay in prison(hoilday camp) for years, being able to do degrees ,FREE, and then get released early(to re offend).

Hang 'em
labradork
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

19-08-2009, 10:15 AM
I think those who commit serious crimes (murder, mass murder, etc...scum like Baby P's killers) should pay the ultimate price for their crimes. PROVIDED that they are proven to be 100% guilty.

Prisons are full of scumbags that don't deserve a second chance. Prisoners now have TV's, gyms, can take various classes and have three square meals a day...hardly much of a punishment! They are a huge drain on the taxpayer. I think the whole prison system needs totally revising. The current system is NO deterrent to criminals
sherylfox
Dogsey Junior
Female 

19-08-2009, 10:32 AM
personally i think they should bring back the day they sent them into the armed forces , our boys are in afghan and irac fighting for scum like that to protect them from terrorists on our streets , they want to kill and fight send them to fight for their country and i bet they would not last a day , as a wife of a british soldier i know how hard it is for our boys out there ... maybe it would make them into real men but i doubt it
hectorsmum
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

19-08-2009, 11:05 AM
Originally Posted by sherylfox View Post
personally i think they should bring back the day they sent them into the armed forces , our boys are in afghan and irac fighting for scum like that to protect them from terrorists on our streets , they want to kill and fight send them to fight for their country and i bet they would not last a day , as a wife of a british soldier i know how hard it is for our boys out there ... maybe it would make them into real men but i doubt it
a VERY good point!

why should our innocent soldiers put their lives at risk when the british scumbags in prison could be doing it.
it would also teach them a bit of disciplin and respect.
spot
Dogsey Veteran

20-08-2009, 08:57 AM
Originally Posted by hectorsmum View Post
with DNA and forensics getting more and more accurate the i do think the Death Penalty should be reintroduced.

it would act as a deterrant and would cost us less in prison costs.
why should we pay for a murderer to stay in prison(hoilday camp) for years, being able to do degrees ,FREE, and then get released early(to re offend).

Hang 'em

Actually there is very little evidence that it would or does act as a deterrent, in fact there is more evidence to the contrary.

Cost wise it actually costs considerably higher to get someone to be condemned to death than actually keep them in prison. Post eviction costs, appeals etc. make it even more costly

Originally Posted by sherylfox View Post
I often hear this and it scares the life out of me – you want to take the murderers, scum etc and give them a gun! As the wife of a soldier I would of thought you would want the men around him to be men, to be highly trained and to stand by him when he needed it. I cannot imagine those destined for a long prison sentence or the death penalty doing any of this.
Jackie
Dogsey Veteran
Female  Diamond Supporter 

20-08-2009, 09:29 AM
Not sure, about it, sometimes when you see unspeakable crimes, my answer would be yes... but would I be able to put my finger on the switch...No, and unless you could be prepared to do so, I dont think you could support the death penalty.

I think a sentence for life should mean life, along with hard labour and not being allowed to sit on ones laurels all day watching TV

I watched drama on Albert Pierrepoint and have to say , its was a bit unsettling..
JanieM
Dogsey Senior
Female 

20-08-2009, 09:36 AM
Originally Posted by spot View Post
I often hear this and it scares the life out of me – you want to take the murderers, scum etc and give them a gun! As the wife of a soldier I would of thought you would want the men around him to be men, to be highly trained and to stand by him when he needed it. I cannot imagine those destined for a long prison sentence or the death penalty doing any of this.
I totally agree. I'm very proud of our armed forces and would hate to see the day when it's full of criminals, surely no ordinary folk would want to join up then.
Page 1 of 10 1 2 3 4 > Last »