Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Magic
Dogsey Senior
Female 

17-08-2009, 07:55 PM

Help Please Urgent !!

Does anyone know if an insurance company (Direct Line) will cover an emergency after hours call out from vet?

My gsd has been a little lame on the back end for a wee while and I had been resting him. Tonight he's hurt himself, his tail is clamped then half way down, hanging limp with lameness in his right hind. He will put weight on his right leg.

He's in distress, he wants to lie down but it seems too painful for him, he can manage to sit upright for a few mins at a time, but he is clearly in a lot of pain. I gave him 450 mg of aspirin a couple of hours ago.

Any ideas, advice anyone ?

Thanks for reading.
kazer
Dogsey Senior
Female 

17-08-2009, 08:01 PM
Hi

Two years ago our whippet had to go into the emergency animal hospital overnight as he need to be watched overnight by a vet and possibly go on a drip to keep his fluids up. We came home from work and he had banged his teeth and was bleeding badly from his gum. Our vet managed to stem the bleeding temporarily but as they were closing and couldn't take him in overnight, they directed us to the hospital.

It cost just over £200 for the overnight stay and our insurance company (Sainsburys) covered it without any problem. I'm sure Direct Line would cover for any medical care your GSD needed, whether it be an emergency call-out.

Karen
ClaireandDaisy
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

17-08-2009, 08:03 PM
Some companies require you to phone them first. I`d check your policy. Alternatively, call your vet. If your vet deems it necessary as emergency treatment, I can`t see they can refuse payment.
kazer
Dogsey Senior
Female 

17-08-2009, 08:05 PM
That's what I was trying to say. In our policy at the time, it stated that they would cover anything that the vet classed as an emergency.
Magic
Dogsey Senior
Female 

17-08-2009, 08:11 PM
Thanks for the replies.

Direct Line claim lines are closed until the morning, and yes they do seem to want one to contact them first.

I called the surgery earlier.... they said if I called the vet out, I'd be looking at £200 - £250 upfront!

He's just managed to lie down outside on the concrete slabs, clearly uncomfortable, but at least lying down. How much is too much aspirin ? I gave him a tab and a half (450 mg) around 7ish. Would it be okish to give him another dose later tonight, I know folks aren't vets on here - it's more if folks can share a little experience and/or knowledge, ideas.

Many thanks.
Merz
Dogsey Senior
Female 

17-08-2009, 08:24 PM
Hi Magic-sorry to hear about your pet-I actually complete Ins. Claim Forms for clients at my own vets-I haven't been made aware by any clients that their Ins. Co. including Direct Line have refused to cover emergency treatment-but obviously I cannot guarantee this. Only thing I can think of where they won't cover your claim is if you have only just taken out Insurance or if your pets condition is a pre-existing condition to you taking out Insurance. Sorry I can't be more helpful and good luck-hope your pet is ok
magpye
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

17-08-2009, 08:35 PM
I'm with more than.. I know I am not covered for anything they do not see as necessary... I am not covered for any out of hours charges the vet puts on, nor call out fees. You need to check your policy.. It should say in there..

i don't know about giving aspirin to dogs I never have...
Tupacs2legs
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

17-08-2009, 11:24 PM
Hi,
it is up to the individual veterinary practise/hospital whether or not they claim direct,not the insurance company only if the vet agrees can this be done,also as i think was said,direct line have a pre-authorisation form to be filled in and ok'd before they will commit to releasing monies.and remember there is an excess fee and possibly a percentage to be paid by yourself.
Lynn
Dogsey Veteran
Female  Gold Supporter 

18-08-2009, 04:51 AM
How did you get on last night ?

Bit late I know but 7 years ago I had to take my dog into the emergency vets out of hours our Insurance company wasn't open either don't think many of them are after 5ish

Our dog needed to be admitted and the vet asked straight away if he was insured which he was and he asked me to take all the necessary details along with me the following day after all the tests had been done (Max had to be admitted over night). Details were taken in vet filled out necessary forms and the Insurance company Churchills paid everything minus the excess no problems.

Hope your dog is ok.
Vicki
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

18-08-2009, 05:51 AM
I can't stand to see a dog in pain, so I dread what sort of night you had.

Can you give us an update, please?

Hugs x
Page 1 of 2 1 2 >