Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Wispasmum
New Member!
Female 

10-08-2009, 02:00 PM

Trouble Travelling

Hi I'm new at posting.
My dog panic pants when traveling, so much, that when we finish the journey it looks like she has been swimming.
When we had the estate car, she barked a lot in it and used to upset the other dogs. now we have a van with a 4 way cage split, the other dogs are relieved at the silence, but I am concerned at the panic, we have tried traveling her with another dog, no difference. we have done all the usual, feeding her in there, sleeping her in there, but as soon as the vehicle starts to move, she starts the panting.
Has anyone had any success with the DAP collar?
Or any herbal remedy?
She is never travel sick.
Desperate for ideas.
ClaireandDaisy
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

10-08-2009, 02:08 PM
You could try popping her in the car when you`re not going anywhere for a few minutes, then rewarding. Have you tried covering her crate? Some dogs get distressed by things whizzing past.
Greyhawk
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

10-08-2009, 02:26 PM
I was thinking the opposite. Can she see out of your van or is she enclosed?

One of ours demonstrated the panting you described when in an enclosed van, therefore when we bought our current van we made sure they could see out and they were fine - however it sounds like you have had problems since the beginning with her travellling.

You could try Scullcap & Valerian tablets or Rescue Remedy?
Hevvur
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

10-08-2009, 03:06 PM
Have you tried really small journeys - start the car, end of the drive, reverse.
Next day - end of the road, next time, round the block etc.
This can help get them used to it.
Dale's mum
Almost a Veteran
Female 

10-08-2009, 05:27 PM
Originally Posted by Hevvur View Post
Have you tried really small journeys - start the car, end of the drive, reverse.
Next day - end of the road, next time, round the block etc.
This can help get them used to it.
Good suggestion. I had to do this with Dale for quite a while. We built it from going nowhere just running the engine for a few minutes until we could drive to the end of the road and then play in the park and walk home.

The vet suggested Rescue Remedies (Bach). I don't think it helped Dale much but it works for some dogs.
Merz
Dogsey Senior
Female 

10-08-2009, 07:50 PM
Hi-my friend had a dog who suffered just like yours-she tried everything that has been suggested. She then started to give her Serene-Um (not sure of spelling). Its herbal and can be bought on web or at health shops. It worked for her dog-good luck
Hammer
Dogsey Senior
Male 

10-08-2009, 08:09 PM
I tried everything under the sun with my Benson...absolutely nothing worked, until.......

I bought a second hand Grand Cherokee Jeep. He loves it, sits in it, sleeps in it, eats in it, and importantly travels fine in it.

It was an overnight success...he panted, dribbled and was sick in every other car before the Jeep. We were confined to my small town before the Jeep, but can go anywhere now.

I personally think it is the height, amount of room and shear bulk of the Jeep that helps. It is solid and comfortable. When he stands up he can see all around him, but if he settles down and tucks himself down in his bed, he must feel secure deep in the bowels of the Jeep.
Wispasmum
New Member!
Female 

10-08-2009, 08:18 PM
Thanks for the replies so far.
I have to admit, that the silence (apart from the panting) since we got the van is heaven , so no way are we going back to a vehicle where she can see out, to bark at everything, I will put up with the panting first and there is no way could we afford to change the vehicle again.
I am going to try travel sickness tablets, even though she is never sick and never has been, just in case. And will let you know how we get on.