Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
TangoCharlie
Dogsey Senior
Male 

03-08-2009, 10:47 AM

Dog Listeners

What are you opinions of 'Dog Listeners' a group of trainers (?) who have learned methods of hiarachy for dogs taught by Jan Fennell.

I'll admit to not reading a JF book but it appears she bases her training on the study of wolves on Yellowstone park. How does she get owners to be 'pack leader'(I hate that term) by using positive methods?

I was chatting to someone recently who said her methods were sucessful all around the world and that prooves her techniques are correct!

What do you folks think?
rune
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

03-08-2009, 10:50 AM
i think it is rubbish, as for being successfull all over the world------at a seminar in australia several people asked for their money back.

she has taken the nilif programme and pretended she invented it. it ceratinly shouldn't be used with all dogs.

rune
Jackie
Dogsey Veteran
Female  Diamond Supporter 

03-08-2009, 10:51 AM
Originally Posted by TangoCharlie View Post
What are you opinions of 'Dog Listeners' a group of trainers (?) who have learned methods of hiarachy for dogs taught by Jan Fennell.

I'll admit to not reading a JF book but it appears she bases her training on the study of wolves on Yellowstone park. How does she get owners to be 'pack leader'(I hate that term) by using positive methods?

I was chatting to someone recently who said her methods were sucessful all around the world and that prooves her techniques are correct!

What do you folks think?
Not a lot really, dog and listener does not come into the same equation wher such peopel are concerned
TangoCharlie
Dogsey Senior
Male 

03-08-2009, 10:57 AM
Thanks for your replies.
My argument with him was that JF studies the wolves in Yellowstone Park. To my knowledge most of the wolves have been placed there so the whole thing is rather artificial.

Plus, of course, there have been better and more recent studies pointing out the huge difference between wolf and dog.
Mahooli
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

03-08-2009, 10:57 AM
I don't do heirachy or packs and certainly wouldn't listen to anyone who's training methods are based on studying wolves. I'd rather hope they studied dogs rather than wolves. Whilst there may be similarities in behaviour I could probably show you similarities in behaviour between two totally unconnected species. Some behaviours are universal in the animal kingdom.
I didn't think much of JF when I saw her programmes as she seemed to use a one size fits all policy regardless and I personally believe that each case should be dealt with individually and a training programme developed for that particular dog.
There was also a rumour in the springer world that she had all her dogs PTS at one stage rather than rehome them.
Becky
ClaireandDaisy
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

03-08-2009, 11:12 AM
Welcome to Dogsey. I see you are a trainee dog trainer.....Jan Fennel course by any chance?
TangoCharlie
Dogsey Senior
Male 

03-08-2009, 11:17 AM
Originally Posted by ClaireandDaisy View Post
Welcome to Dogsey. I see you are a trainee dog trainer.....Jan Fennel course by any chance?
I would like to go along to one if you would pay!

I'd love to hear about it as I am open minded but have studied research papers I am not one that believes in the dog pack/pack leader nonesense. I try and deal with facts.
But, you can't run a theory down until you've heard it properly!
ClaireandDaisy
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

03-08-2009, 11:35 AM
It`s just that I don`t really understand why you would study the Fennel method (as a dog trainer) if you were not on her course because it`s a Franchise.
I didn`t know she`d done any research? What`s it about?
Tupacs2legs
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

03-08-2009, 11:41 AM
Originally Posted by TangoCharlie View Post
I would like to go along to one if you would pay!

I'd love to hear about it as I am open minded but have studied research papers I am not one that believes in the dog pack/pack leader nonesense. I try and deal with facts.
But, you can't run a theory down until you've heard it properly!
hi and welcome
i dont want you to take this the wrong way,but just a quick question.......you are a 'trainee dog trainer' right? do you only choose to teach your dogs 4 commands as it says on your profile?
ClaireandDaisy
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

03-08-2009, 12:37 PM
He could be just starting...in which case it might be better to ask a good dog club to take you on as a trainee / volunteer? That`s the best way I know to learn.
Apologies if I`m making wrong assumptions here !
Page 1 of 7 1 2 3 4 > Last »