Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
lynnb
Dogsey Senior
Female 

19-06-2009, 07:30 PM

Swine flu in school. what would you do?

My grandson aged 8 came home from school today with a letter, stating that a 5 year child has confirmed swine flu.
After talking with other mums about it. 2 of them have stated that they won't be sending thier child back to school until they know it hasn't spread.

What would you do?
Would you send your child to school hoping they don't get it?
OR
Would you like these keep your child off school?
greyhoundk
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

19-06-2009, 08:00 PM
A little bit different to this but still a bit worrying - my son returned last Friday from a week residential trip at PGL Marchants Hill in Surrey. On Tuesday this week we got a letter saying that one of the children from a different school on the trip had swine flu. Don't really know what to make of it all - we had all this with bird flu and it didn't really come to anything did it ? Not sure what i'd do though if it was confirmed at our school. Maybe they should close the school until they know the true picture ?
Lionhound
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

19-06-2009, 08:03 PM
Personally I would keep my child off, I dont think the virus would cause a serious risk to my healthy boys but would be devasted if we were responsible for spreading it to somenoe whos health is not as robust.
Ramble
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

19-06-2009, 08:04 PM
Originally Posted by Lionhound View Post
Personally I would keep my child off, I dont think the virus would cause a serious risk to my healthy boys but would be devasted if we were responsible for spreading it to somenoe whos health is not as robust.
Thats an excellent point.
lynnb
Dogsey Senior
Female 

19-06-2009, 08:11 PM
Originally Posted by Lionhound View Post
Good point.
The child that has the virus is off school, but there is a chance that some of the other children could have caught it from him before he went home sick.
Phil
Fondly Remembered
Male 

19-06-2009, 08:20 PM
I'd keep my kids at home - then I'd get time off work !
random
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

19-06-2009, 08:20 PM
I would keep him off school.
MaryS
Dogsey Senior
Female 

19-06-2009, 08:26 PM
I would ask HA/DoH for advice....but probably send him.
Tillymint
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

19-06-2009, 08:31 PM
There's gossip round here that somebody at my daughter's school has it - but we have had nothing in writing from the school so it could be just gossip.
But I think I would keep her off.
It's scarey how quickly things spread.
What happens in September - 2 weeks into new term & they are dropping lke flies with colds every single year this happens to mine.
Dale's mum
Almost a Veteran
Female 

19-06-2009, 09:25 PM
I was talking to my friend in Dunoon about this. Their school was hit recently.She's a nursing lecturer herself and seemed quite laid back about it all. One of the children in her daughter's class had it so the whole class had to take Tamiflu and eventually the school was closed for a week. Karen seemed to think it was more a big nuisance rather than a danger.
It's probably being blown up by the media, but like everything else some people will get it worse than others. I'd like to think I'd carry on as normal in that situation, but TBH when it comes to your child........
Page 1 of 5 1 2 3 4 > Last »