Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Wozzy
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

24-04-2009, 11:36 AM

Any Suggestions on Dog Sports?

I'm trying to think of something my BC could get his teeth into which he would enjoy and also be good at.

So far, we've done obedience (too slow pace for my liking) and agility for 2 years which he is pants at. The trouble with Jed is that he is quite lazy, unmotivated and doesnt have much confidence in his physical abilities. Even trying to coax him over a stile takes an age yet he can clear them easily.

He isnt particularly toy or food orientated and the only thing really which seems to make him come alive is hunting. He's far too cumbersome to catch anything but he loves hunting out rabbits, field voles, pheasants etc. He has a great nose and has on many occassions tracked and flushed a running pheasant on the ground when the 2 German Pointers have lost the air scent.

I'm going to take a look at a Schutzhund club in Leicester because he can do the obedience bit (with some ironing out!) and I think he would enjoy the tracking. When Jed and I play, he loves to mock attack me and will always go for my forearm but i'm not sure if he's bold enough to confront a stranger. I dont think he has the aggression or assertiveness levels required but it's worth a shot.

Bearing in mind he isnt the greatest athlete in the world but he does have a great nose and brain, can anybody think of any other sports or activites which would suit him? Somebody has suggested I simply let him be a pet i.e take him for a walk then let him sleep all day but Jed isnt affectionate neither, nor is he much of a team player, he prefers his own space and to do his own thing.
Furthermore, it would be unfair for him to be left out when my pointer is doing his gundog training and my other BC is doing agility. Plus, I like my dogs to earn their keep and they cant do that by lounging around all day!

So far i've ruled out:
Flyball - too high energy for Jed, we'd always let the team down by being too slow!
HTM - No thanks!
Cani-cross - again too energetic both for me and Jed!
Showing - Not KC reg
Sheepdog training - Frightened of sheep plus no herding instincts

I'm running out of ideas but i'm open to any suggestions because so far, i've drawn a blank as to what he could excel at. There has to be something!!!
Hali
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

24-04-2009, 11:59 AM
What about working trials?
jesterjenn
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

24-04-2009, 12:26 PM
I was going to suggest tracking, or search and rescue type work
mishflynn
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

24-04-2009, 12:39 PM
Originally Posted by Hali View Post
What about working trials?
Originally Posted by jesterjenn View Post
I was going to suggest tracking, or search and rescue type work

All great ideas!!!

I took some pics od S&R traioning once, looks really good fun!
Dobermonkey
Almost a Veteran
Female 

27-04-2009, 08:13 AM
Working trials or just plain old tracking (think they still do it on a sunday afternoon at a place i used to go to near Mkt Harborough) Tried Schutzhund with my boy and whilst he would happily rag the bite arm whilst I had it and did everything if i was doing the exercise, he just wouldnt do it for anyone else so knocked that on the head!
skilaki
Almost a Veteran
Female 

27-04-2009, 08:37 AM
Working trials has many of the schutxhund elements without having to do the protection bit if you think he wouldn't be up for biting a sleeve on a stranger. Both sports have challenging jump elements, which if trained properly, might well teach jet to clear stiles more quickly lol.

Both sports require a level of dedication and train in all weathers, and the dog needs to be quite well motivated by food or toy or handler to be good.

You could incorporate all the elements you like from different sports to make up Jet's very own training regime lol - a bit of obedience, a bit a agility, a bit of trick training, search games and tracking if he likes hunting. That was you have a dog who is stimulated without the pressure of a regimented points orientated sport?
Wozzy
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

27-04-2009, 01:36 PM
Working Trials is something i've been wanting to get into for about 2 years. I even made some enquiries with a local club ages ago but didnt hear anything back. Like agility, i'd do WT with the aim of competing but i'm just reluctant to try it with a dog like Jed who doesnt have the focus.

TBH, I think it's gotten to the point where Jed has switched off to the sound of my voice because he doesnt listen, I get on his case so he switches off even more.

Might Google some search and rescue type training. I live near the Peak District so there might be something.

Thanks for the ideas guys.
Hali
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

27-04-2009, 02:25 PM
I know its a bit bizarre, but has anyone ever tried to do gundog work with a border collie? From what you say, that's what he seems to like best!

He does remind me of Stumpy - she loves to hunt and has fetched me back a couple of rabbits and a mouse (all alive and unharmed except one rabbit which was clearly dead before she got it)
Moobli
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

27-04-2009, 02:29 PM
One of the gamekeepers up here has seen my Moss (BC) hunting, working cover and flushing and said he would make an excellent gundog. I am sure it can be done. I know of a GSD that has been trained to the gun.
Rookgeordiegirl
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

27-04-2009, 02:31 PM
I think there are a few working trials clubs round your way.
Page 1 of 2 1 2 >