Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Deccy
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

11-01-2007, 11:01 PM

Wet eczema - any natural remedies?

Does anyone know of any natural/homeopatic treatments for wet eczema?
Would any of these be suitable for helping hair to grow back?
shaza
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

11-01-2007, 11:09 PM
Sorry I cant be of any help in this matter, but I'll be watching this thread with great interest as Ozzie has lost the hair on the base of his tail due to eczema, I found Helena really helpfull, hopefully she will see and reply to this thread.
inkliveeva
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

12-01-2007, 02:38 PM
Look through Dorwest Herbs site, I used to use garlic and fenugreek for Suki from them, better still phone them they are really nice and give great advice,
ShaynLola
Almost a Veteran
Female 

12-01-2007, 05:24 PM
Don't know about herbal remedies but good old fashioed Benzyl Benzoate is great for drying it up really quickly. It can be difficult to get hold of but you should find it easier in rural Ireland...I couldn't find any in any of the pharmacies in Belfast but was able to get it in a little place in the back of beyond in South Armagh as it's used a lot for horses apparently??!!

My vet recommended fish oils (quite high dose) to help skin & coat as one of my dogs has a recurring skin problem (as well as the odd patch of wet eczema). It really helps to control her skin condition and her coat is in fantastic condition. She also has a vitamin E capsule every day.
Christine
Dogsey Veteran

12-01-2007, 06:45 PM
I`ve used the stuff from the link below & it`s cleared them up in no time. I get the ingredients from the chemist & make it myself

http://itsfortheanimals.com/Adobe/Bl...0Treatment.pdf
leo
Dogsey Veteran
Male 

12-01-2007, 08:24 PM
also tea tree oil is good for hot spots.
petebren
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

12-01-2007, 09:30 PM
Look in the baby section of supermarkets or chemists for stuff Shaynlola suggests, it works well and is still a remedy I use on us too, there is a small jar available at our local chemist and sorry cant remember name but it has the tar product in it
Ashlady
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

12-01-2007, 09:45 PM
Pippin used to (touch wood) have bouts of wet eczema. My vet said that it should not be 'dried up' as this sealed the bacteria? inside to come out again some other time. She shaved his face and said I was to SCRUB the area with salt water twice daily and use nothing else on it at all

Also, I have to say, since changing their food, he hasn't had it since (touch wood again)
Deccy
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

12-01-2007, 10:30 PM
Thanks everyone for your replies and suggestions. I have some cod liver oil but getting him to eat food with that on is a bit of a struggle. Perhaps I need to persevere.
I have used Dorwest Herbs but shy away from ringing them as it would be an international call on my mobile not sure my pay as you go could cope with that! I will look at their website.
I will call in at the pharmacy in the morning and see if they have heard of Benzyl Benzoate (I haven't), I have been applying Sudocreme which the vet thinks is a cure-all for anything to do with skin, but it gets licked off - or smeared over my duvet
inkliveeva
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

13-01-2007, 11:29 AM
I was speaking to some american friends of mine and they suggested Lanacane spray, I tried to get the spray but they don't do it here so I got the powder.