Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Sam&Dave
New Member!
Male 

04-01-2007, 03:39 PM

Anyone have Dog Food Recipes

I want to start making dog food. My dog Sam is a Husky x Lab. He is 5 years old and weighs 40 lbs.

I adopted him about a year and a half ago. He has cataracts but they don't cause him too much trouble. The vet told me to wait a few years if I am to have them removed.

Other than that he is completely healthy. I feed him Pedagree Healthy Vitality for Adult dogs and he hates it.

I'd like to base his food on lamb and rice with vitamins, vegtables and fruit.

I am having a really hard time finding a recipe online. Anyone have one that would work?
Christine
Dogsey Veteran

04-01-2007, 03:48 PM
Hi

I`ve found the book Complete Guide for Dogs & Cats by Richard Pitcairn the best available for making home made dog food.

http://www.drpitcairn.com/books/pitcairn_book.html

It contains loads of recipes with breakdown of what foods contain which nutrients & you can mix n match them
Sam&Dave
New Member!
Male 

04-01-2007, 03:49 PM
Thanks but I was hoping to find the information online.
Christine
Dogsey Veteran

04-01-2007, 04:01 PM
You`ll probably be able to find some recipes online but think maybe you should have at least having one book written by a qualified vet who knows about nutrition, that you can refer to. The book also explains canine nutrition, what the dogs needs are, whats most important, less important. It`s best to have some basic knowledge in canine nutrition before embarking on home made food for your dog
Daniellew
Dogsey Junior

05-01-2007, 12:21 AM
i have quite a few recipes.

here are a couple if you would like any more then send me a PM with your email address.

Doggy Stew
cut up some cooked meat into chunks and place it in a saucepan with some chopped carrots, peas and potato (but make sure you peel the potatoes first). cover with water and add one clove of chopped garlic. bring to the boil, after 10 minutes. Add pasta or rice and boil for another 10 minutes. Done.

Doggy Omlete (good breakfast for your dog and you)
Mix 3 eggs in a bowl add a tablespoon of skimmed milk. Then add some chopped sausage (low fat) and some bacon if required. fry in the pan with vegetable or sunflower oil. then cut into chunks.

send me a Pm if you would like anymore.
Christine
Dogsey Veteran

05-01-2007, 08:12 AM
Hi Dan/W

I`m sure dogs would love those 2 recipes but they`d become ill if fed them over a long period of time

The first recipe contains not enough calcium & the second not enough calcium or protein to sustain a dog. Also you don`t mention weights, only 3 eggs Sam needs to know how much to feed a 40lb dog.

Dogs have spefific requirements, people feeding a home made diet to their dogs need to at least know the basics

What do you feed your dogs, I`ve seen a post saying you feed them Eukanuba complete, but maybe you`ve changed their diets now?
Daniellew
Dogsey Junior

05-01-2007, 11:28 AM
i do feed min eukanuba as they do have dodgy tummies. but i did used to make my last dogs food. I would not feed these recipes alone i would always add some kind of biscuit to it like james wellbeloved.
Christine
Dogsey Veteran

05-01-2007, 06:39 PM
Ahhh that explains it then

Its quite a different thing adding fresh foods to a complete food than feeding only fresh foods Which is what I understood the poster wanting to feed, fresh food only!

When feeding only fresh foods & no complete food with it, you do need to know the basics of canine nutrition to ensure the dogs get what they need
Savannah
New Member!
Female 

15-01-2007, 12:10 AM
http://www.whitetimberwolfranch.com/index.html

look under vital information there is info about a alk/acid diet... supposed to be very similar to the human version