Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Murf
Dogsey Veteran
Male 

18-06-2012, 11:42 AM
Searching game – teaching the “Find it” cue

Putting a cue to an activity is important so when the dog has associated the cue words with an action you can use it in different situation to let the dog know what is about to happen.

1. For three days place a portion of food on a jam jar top in front of the dog and say an excited “find it” encouraging the dog to go and eat the food. Repeat 10 times.
2. For the next three days continue placing the food down whilst the dog watches but now place it further away or just around the corner/behind furniture. As the dog is released to find the food say “find it” in an excited encouraging voice.
3. The following three days continue as above but gradually make it harder for the dog to find, around the back of a chair, in another room out in the garden etc but always letting the dog see that the food is being taken and placed somewhere. If the dog dashes out and gets each portion quickly and appears confident in what he/she is doing you can then move on.
4. Now the food portions are placed around the kitchen and garden but the dog does not see what you are doing. Make sure one or two of the portions are really easy to see so that it encourages the dog to find them. Then release the dog with an excited “find it” and let the dog go and hunt the dinner portions. If you have areas of the house/garden where you do not want the dog to go just never hide food there and the dog will eventually not bother looking in that area. Gradually the dog’s determination and stamina increase so that they will spend up to 20 minutes searching for food portions. You can then start using the same game out on walks in the following ways:

Start off as you did in the house/garden so start off by putting the food just in front of the dog and saying “find it”, repeat as in the above, letting the dog see you put it down then gradually put it in long grass, behind trees etc. If the dog has a poor recall a trailing line or extendable lead can be used.

This is a particularly useful exercise for dogs that get distracted out on walks by chasing scents. By having food available they receive a reward unlike the often fruitless searches for rabbits that have gone to ground or other elusive scents. It also helps by putting the “hunting” on cue and by working cooperatively with the dog because the handler is the facilitator of the game.
I love reading stuff like this.makes perfect sense to me and is easily try able . ...
spaniel04
Dogsey Junior
Female 

18-06-2012, 11:43 AM
Is it possible that you are the trigger? I have seen dogs that have legged it when the pressure of training got too much. 7 months is very young to know many commands and to know them well.
What sort of service dog is he, as a matter of interest?
Dalmonda
Dogsey Senior
Female 

18-06-2012, 11:52 AM
Originally Posted by spaniel04 View Post
Is it possible that you are the trigger? I have seen dogs that have legged it when the pressure of training got too much. 7 months is very young to know many commands and to know them well.
What sort of service dog is he, as a matter of interest?
Possible, Yes I suppose. Though our work vs play balance is very good. We train using tennis balls as a reward. I considered "boredom" as a factor but we always leave training "on a high". Usually we walk...train and then have pure one on one play time. Infact in all of the incidents he has returned wanting to work.. not walk or play. He is very focused. We never train when his mood is not "quite right".

Though I am currently talking to a trainer friend of mine, who thinks perhaps he is trying to deal with an intense "burst" of energy.

He is search dog. I also therefore much consider the possibility he is going after a scent which he is usually highly rewarded for.
Lottie
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

18-06-2012, 03:18 PM
I do think it's either a case of intense zoomies (Bubble gets them but doesn't go as far, but she does go off as though on a mission) or he's caught a scent and because he's so good at it, you're missing the signs.

As I said, a different pitched whistle for emergency recall or 'stop' that is ONLY used when he gets a VERY high value reward might be worth a try.
Dalmonda
Dogsey Senior
Female 

18-06-2012, 03:20 PM
Originally Posted by Lottie View Post
I do think it's either a case of intense zoomies (Bubble gets them but doesn't go as far, but she does go off as though on a mission) or he's caught a scent and because he's so good at it, you're missing the signs.

As I said, a different pitched whistle for emergency recall or 'stop' that is ONLY used when he gets a VERY high value reward might be worth a try.
Already ordered my new whistle as you suggested earlier hun!
Lottie
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

18-06-2012, 04:30 PM
Fingers crossed!
Jenkel
Dogsey Junior
Female 

18-06-2012, 07:07 PM
Smokeybear...... that was very interesting reading, I enjoyed that and all is really common sense. I've done the biscuit training with Jena, her favourite game is find the biscuit and I can get her attention from anything with it. Kel is very ball orientated and again focused, although I can't get him to be interested in two balls, he attaches himself to the first ball given and that's it!

Both mine, but especially Kel will chase and hunt, I try to watch their body language and if it looks like they've seen or smelt I quickly recall and play...... however, if that elastic band as gone too far it can snap! lol

Really enjoyed your tips though.

Julie
Dalmonda
Dogsey Senior
Female 

20-06-2012, 09:21 AM
just wanted to give all the contributors to this thread a quick "update" - Only a couple of days have gone by since I asked my question but I have already implemented some changes.

I really wanted some "fresh eyes" on my situation (two heads are better than one!) and I certainly got that

I have purchased a new whistle to train an 'emergency stop' it is of a different tone to our everyday whistle and should arrive shortly. We do have a stop signal on the everyday whistle and I have been practising this to just reinforce the command. So far so good! He is a very easy dog to train (certainly the easiest I've had!) and I am trying to get in more games to.

I HAVE FOUND A TRIGGER. It may not be "the" trigger but it certainly gives me something to work on. Recall away from this trigger (at full speed) was immediate and met with lots of praise and fuss.

The advice given was great and will definately help some of the less experienced members with their recall problems! Thank you to everyone especially SB and Lottie!
Page 2 of 2 < 1 2